Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Living in Crete, hoping to move back to UK

Living in Crete, hoping to move back to UK

Old May 26th 2010, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice
Default Living in Crete, hoping to move back to UK

Hi Everyone.

I'm a british woman, married to a greek and living in Crete since 2000. Hoping to come home in the next couple of years, so I'll be looking for info on moving back to UK, but I'm also reasonably well-qualifed to give some info on Greece.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
Old May 26th 2010, 12:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Crete, hoping to move back to UK

Hi Lisa and welcome to BE. We have a great forum just up your alley. The Moving Back to the UK forum. You're lucky that your husband is an EU citizen and you won't need a visa to have him return to the UK with you.

We also have a forum (subforum that is) for Brits in Greece and perhaps you might like to hang out there as well.

If you any questions about the site, please give a holler. And again, welcome.
Old May 26th 2010, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaP
Hi Everyone.

I'm a british woman, married to a greek and living in Crete since 2000. Hoping to come home in the next couple of years, so I'll be looking for info on moving back to UK, but I'm also reasonably well-qualifed to give some info on Greece.

Hi there Lisa and welcome.

Having spent 2 weeks in Crete on holiday I understand why you want to move back to the UK after 10 years.

I see you're doing very well finding your way around BE's forums but if you need any assistance please contact a mod or admin...we will be pleased to help you out.
Old May 26th 2010, 5:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone.

Hi Lisa, I had a few years on Rhodes, and my UKC spouse had more than that.. in fact, just found an old friend on facebook and almost fell over when she wrote she's been there 9 years.. where did the time go and can I have a refund?!
As I was looking through her pix I said to the DH that I miss the *idea* of it more than the actuality.. you might know what I mean.
Best wishes with your transition, and happy landing & re-entry to you.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice

It's so nice for people to say 'yeah, know what you mean' (about moving back) rather than 'you must be mad you're so lucky to live in Greece'!

There's no place like home.

Jerseygirl - why?! I'm really interested to know because mostly people are blinded by the sunshine.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's so nice for people to say 'yeah, know what you mean' (about moving back) rather than 'you must be mad you're so lucky to live in Greece'!

There's no place like home.

Jerseygirl - why?! I'm really interested to know because mostly people are blinded by the sunshine.
Crete is too small...I would get cabin fever. We were there during October one year...we had tremendous thunderstorms most days. It was the worst holiday I've ever had.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, October can be stormy. I quite like the thunderstorms, but it's not generally what you're looking for in a beach holiday.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, October can be stormy. I quite like the thunderstorms, but it's not generally what you're looking for in a beach holiday.
Like many places that rely on the sun for their tourism...we found there wasn't a great deal to do when it rained day after day.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Um no. There's always government tv.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

chrissyganesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to me Jerseygirl,you didn't do your research before taking a holiday in Crete in October. If you look at the average rainfall in Crete you can see that it is usually a rainy month compared with September. If you want a sunny beach holiday then go in June,July or August.If your holiday has to be in October don't rely on good weather in Crete.It still has a great climate in comparison to Uk and it was just bad timing for your holiday here.It doesn't mean it's a dull pace. I've spent a week in June in Cornwall in a tent inconstant rain-now that's Boring!!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 7:37 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrissyganesh
Seems to me Jerseygirl,you didn't do your research before taking a holiday in Crete in October. If you look at the average rainfall in Crete you can see that it is usually a rainy month compared with September. If you want a sunny beach holiday then go in June,July or August.If your holiday has to be in October don't rely on good weather in Crete.It still has a great climate in comparison to Uk and it was just bad timing for your holiday here.It doesn't mean it's a dull pace. I've spent a week in June in Cornwall in a tent inconstant rain-now that's Boring!!
Welcome to the Forum, Im Guessing that JG knows that now.

Are you an Expat or planning an Adventure to foreign shores? We have a really good community help that can offer loads of invaluable advice.

Should you get any issues contact one of the Forum Leaders HERE
Old Jul 6th 2010, 7:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hello Chrissy. Why don't you open a new thread and introduce yourself?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:47 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chrissy

Welcome to BE.
I see you have Ganesh in your site name - is that a reference to India?

Dread - x
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:48 am
Just Joined

chrissyganesh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm not Indian,I just like the religion and I like elephants!!
I am English and currently building a villa in Crete to retire there. Just thought that JG was moaning about a bad holiday and I guess I was trying to defend it's 'interesting' climate.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:19 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm not Indian,I just like the religion and I like elephants!!
I am English and currently building a villa in Crete to retire there. Just thought that JG was moaning about a bad holiday and I guess I was trying to defend it's 'interesting' climate.

Hi Chrissy

As Im normally found lurking on the Goa forum, I can appreciate a liking for the Hindu religion and also love elephants. And Ganesh is a rather cute looking Hindu deity - .

It is many years since I last visited Crete but I liked it and we were pretty lucky weatherwise. That said I bet there has been some changes since.

Good luck with the building of your villa and the retirement.

Dread - x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.