Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Lakma expat in Australia

Lakma expat in Australia

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Lakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really nice
Default Lakma expat in Australia

Hello, my name is Juliette and I have lived most of my life in Australia, as my parents came out in the sixties. I have considered moving back to England so many times and want to make contact with any who have done the same or are in the process. I still hold a British passport and am a British Citizen. I find no culture, and never have in Australia. The compensation has been a lovely climate here in Perth and some beautiful adventures in the Kimberleys. I want to live out the rest of my (still fruitful) life in the U.K. though, and see the things that I have never been able to. You know, a cathedral here or there, green grass, museums....................meet people. Any advice would be appreciated as to employment, housing etc. I would prefer to live in the country.
Kind Thoughts Juliette
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lakma expat in Australia

Originally Posted by Lakma
Hello, my name is Juliette and I have lived most of my life in Australia, as my parents came out in the sixties. I have considered moving back to England so many times and want to make contact with any who have done the same or are in the process. I still hold a British passport and am a British Citizen. I find no culture, and never have in Australia. The compensation has been a lovely climate here in Perth and some beautiful adventures in the Kimberleys. I want to live out the rest of my (still fruitful) life in the U.K. though, and see the things that I have never been able to. You know, a cathedral here or there, green grass, museums....................meet people. Any advice would be appreciated as to employment, housing etc. I would prefer to live in the country.
Kind Thoughts Juliette
Hello Juliette...welcome to BE.

What age were you when you moved to Australia...or were you born there? We hear of quite a few people who have moved to a new country when they were young but always dream of moving back to the UK.

I suggest you take a look in our Moving Back To The UK Forums. We have a great crowd of very helpful members who post in those forums...so if you post any questions you may have regarding moving to the UK I'm sure you get some helpful replies. Also take a look in the BE Wiki.

Being as you are currently living in Australia you may wish to browse our Australia Forums.

We have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guides if you need help navigating your way through the many BE forums. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator...you can find the mod's name at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold print and concierges' names are in standard print.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help. Good luck.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Lakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really niceLakma is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello Juliette...welcome to BE.

What age were you when you moved to Australia...or were you born there? We hear of quite a few people who have moved to a new country when they were young but always dream of moving back to the UK.

I suggest you take a look in our Moving Back To The UK Forums. We have a great crowd of very helpful members who post in those forums...so if you post any questions you may have regarding moving to the UK I'm sure you get some helpful replies. Also take a look in the BE Wiki.

Being as you are currently living in Australia you may wish to browse our Australia Forums.

We have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guides if you need help navigating your way through the many BE forums. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator...you can find the mod's name at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold print and concierges' names are in standard print.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help. Good luck.
Thank you for such a quick response. I was born in Bristol 1955 and moved to Australia in 1963, so I am aware that there will be a huge cultural change for me. But that is what I want. I have never been happy in this country for some reason, whereas the rest of my family have been fine. I have never fitted in with the harshness of it and due to the fact that I love to draw and have a gentle nature. I love animals and the country, and just can't find that sort of spirit here. I have relatives in England but don't intend to intrude on them in any way. I will work at what ever it takes to remain independant. Perhaps I may meet some one who is of a like mind one day...
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:20 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Juliette

I see Jerseygirl has pointed you to our 'Moving back to the UK' forum, which is a great place for you to speak to people who have eithr returned to the UK or are in the process of doing so. They are a nice bunch of folks on there who will be only too happy to help with anything you need to know.
That just leaves me to say Welcome to BE from me too, and all the best with your planned move to the UK.
By the way, once you have posted 3 times, you will be able to use the private messaging service to contact other members one to one. This is a great way to make friends when you get to your chosen destination.

Good luck

Dread - x
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for such a quick response. I was born in Bristol 1955 and moved to Australia in 1963, so I am aware that there will be a huge cultural change for me. But that is what I want. I have never been happy in this country for some reason, whereas the rest of my family have been fine. I have never fitted in with the harshness of it and due to the fact that I love to draw and have a gentle nature. I love animals and the country, and just can't find that sort of spirit here. I have relatives in England but don't intend to intrude on them in any way. I will work at what ever it takes to remain independant. Perhaps I may meet some one who is of a like mind one day...
I think the UK is a great place to live and it's easy and cheap to travel to other European countries too.

Take a read through the 50's and 60's thread in the MBTTUK forum...I think you will find it very interesting.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Juliette

I see Jerseygirl has pointed you to our 'Moving back to the UK' forum, which is a great place for you to speak to people who have eithr returned to the UK or are in the process of doing so. They are a nice bunch of folks on there who will be only too happy to help with anything you need to know.
That just leaves me to say Welcome to BE from me too, and all the best with your planned move to the UK.
By the way, once you have posted 3 times, you will be able to use the private messaging service to contact other members one to one. This is a great way to make friends when you get to your chosen destination.

Good luck

Dread - x
Thank you Dread for your note to me, I shall go to this forum immediately and have a look. I have been reading peoples experiences of moving back to England, mostly very positive and very honest.
Kind Regards, Juliette
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Lakma expat in Australia

Dread
I assume that you are in England. Did you return there long ago and what part of the country are you living in. Plus, I had a look at the housing for 55s and over, but I want to live in the country and hope to have some money to purchase something small in a village ...............some where in England. Sounds a little mad I know, but what have I got to lose? I have had a very eventful life and don't see that changing in the future. I want access to horse riding as I have done a fair bit of that here in Australia.
Kind Thoughts
Juliette
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Dread
I assume that you are in England. Did you return there long ago and what part of the country are you living in. Plus, I had a look at the housing for 55s and over, but I want to live in the country and hope to have some money to purchase something small in a village ...............some where in England. Sounds a little mad I know, but what have I got to lose? I have had a very eventful life and don't see that changing in the future. I want access to horse riding as I have done a fair bit of that here in Australia.
Kind Thoughts
Juliette
Juliette why don't you start a new thread in the MBTTUK forum and post your questions in there?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Juliette why don't you start a new thread in the MBTTUK forum and post your questions in there?
What does MBTTUK stand for? I had a search but didn't find it. I would be happy to start a thread there and ask my questions. (don't want to break any rules)
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: Lakma expat in Australia

God how dense I've become. I have just realised what the acronym stands for and feel like an idiot. Right then here's my smiley
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

What does MBTTUK stand for? I had a search but didn't find it. I would be happy to start a thread there and ask my questions. (don't want to break any rules)
It's an abbreviation for BE's Moving Back To The UK Forum. Click on the link I gave you in my post #2 in this thread and it will take you to the main index page.

I also gave you a link to a thread in that forum in my post #5...I think that thread would be very useful to you.

Please do not hesitate to give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Lakma expat in Australia

It's an abbreviation for BE's Moving Back To The UK Forum. Click on the link I gave you in my post #2 in this thread and it will take you to the main index page.

I also gave you a link to a thread in that forum in my post #5...I think that thread would be very useful to you.

Please do not hesitate to give me a shout if you need any help.
Thank you Jerseygirl, here's a quote I use when I feel like nurd
"There's a fine line between fishing, and standing on the shore looking like an idiot" Stephen Fry
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:06 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lakma,

I see you have found the moving back to the UK forum. There are lots of people like yourself, who are moving back who post in there, so you will be amongst kindred souls. No matter how long someone has been abroad it can still be daunting to return, so the members who use the MBTTUK forum are very supportative of each other and I am sure you will enjoy getting to know them.

Don't hesitate to give one of us a poke if you have any questions and welcome to the site
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you Jerseygirl, here's a quote I use when I feel like nurd
"There's a fine line between fishing, and standing on the shore looking like an idiot" Stephen Fry
I've just read your thread in the MBTTUK forum...way to go Juliette...way to go...you did great. We've all been there...stood on the shore looking like an idiot...I know what that feels like.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I've just read your thread in the MBTTUK forum...way to go Juliette...way to go...you did great. We've all been there...stood on the shore looking like an idiot...I know what that feels like.
As Sue said...the posters in the MBTTUK forum are very supportative...several have moved abroad when they were young like yourself...so they understand what you are going through. Sometimes the pull to moving to the UK means they leave spouses/children/grandchildren behind. That's what's great about BE...you can read and interact from all angles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.