Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Just moved to Netherlands...struggling!

Just moved to Netherlands...struggling!

Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:02 am
Just Joined

yvo1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just moved to Netherlands...struggling!

Hi all

I'm new to this all.

I moved to Holland at the beginning of this month and I'm really struggling with the change. I moved to be with my Dutch boyfriend as him living in the UK didn't work out.

I'm wondering if anyone would share their advice and experiences with me and possibly want to make a new friend as I'm finding it hard to make new friends out here at the moment.

I just hope it will get better as I'm considering going home but I don't like to admit defeat easily!!

Thanks

Yvonne

Last edited by yvo1987; Jul 29th 2013 at 11:28 am. Reason: trying to delete but am unable too..
Old Jul 29th 2013, 12:47 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just moved to Netherlands...struggling!

Hi Yvonne and welcome to the forum

I see you've discovered the Holland section already. That's the best place for your posts, so I'll leave you to it. Hope things improve for you
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:27 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yvo1987

I just hope it will get better as I'm considering going home but I don't like to admit defeat easily!!

Thanks

Yvonne
Hi Yvonne,

Welcome to BE.

It's really hard moving abroad, especially in the beginning. So you aren't alone. I live in the USA and it took me about a year to settle. We even moved recently from NC to Florida and for some reason I am finding this move more difficult than when we moved to the US many moons ago.

Try and focus on the positive stuff about your move and make sure you are talking to your boyfriend about how you feel so that he can try and help you feel more at home.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yvonne and welcome to BE

You only moved less than a month ago. Settling into a new place does take time whether that is a move within the UK or to another country. It's normal to feel this way! Everything is different or done slightly differently. It can be a lot to take on.
Give yourself time and all the best.
P
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:41 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 10th 2013, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Fallen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i have just joined this forum and am in the same situation as you. I have just moved here 3 weeks ago to be with my boyfriend who lives here in Deventer, but i don't know anyone else and want to make some new friends. Would be great to here from anyone in the area. Its pretty scary moving to another country and not knowing anyone. Where abouts do you live in the Netherlands

Faye