Just joined!

Old Dec 28th 2015, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

JL01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just joined!

Hi,

My name is Jamie and have been thinking of relocating from the UK to the states for quite a while now, and have decided this year I would start seriously trying to realise that goal.

I am a chartered quantity surveyor / cost consultant, so I am hoping my jobs skills will be transferable.
I have some cousins whom I haven't had a lot of contact with over the years in San Francisco, so I will also be contacting them once I have explored how realistic a move would be and possible job opportunities.

I am very interested to hear from anyone who has made a similar move and how it has turned out... And also anyone who would have any advice about how likely the opportunities are in relation to my profession.

Thanks,

Jamie
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Just joined!

Hi there and a warm welcome to the wonderful world of BE.

Have a pop on over to our USA forum. Plenty of folk there willing to help a little and chat

This way -----. > USA forums
Old Dec 29th 2015, 5:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JL01
Hi,

My name is Jamie and have been thinking of relocating from the UK to the states for quite a while now, and have decided this year I would start seriously trying to realise that goal.

I am a chartered quantity surveyor / cost consultant, so I am hoping my jobs skills will be transferable.
I have some cousins whom I haven't had a lot of contact with over the years in San Francisco, so I will also be contacting them once I have explored how realistic a move would be and possible job opportunities.

I am very interested to hear from anyone who has made a similar move and how it has turned out... And also anyone who would have any advice about how likely the opportunities are in relation to my profession.

Thanks,

Jamie
Have a read of this from our BE Wiki before asking questions there, it should tell you all you need to know.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Dec 29th 2015, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, Jamie.

Have a good read of the link that Mike gave you. I honestly don't know if your skills are on the demand list.

If you are single, someone will quickly tell you to find a Yank to marry. It is one way of doing it. Don't know if they are advising this seriously or kiddingly but that's how many of them have done it.

Enjoy your browse through the USA forums and ask as many questions as you have.