Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

I've often thought of myself as mid-Atlantic

I've often thought of myself as mid-Atlantic

Old Nov 1st 2019, 12:08 am
Just Joined

singajane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I've often thought of myself as mid-Atlantic

Born in UK, came as a child to Washington DC USA with my family, went back to the UK for university, back to USA because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do next, back to UK and ended up working and marrying and starting a family in London, then back to USA again where I've lived a long time. I've gone back to the UK for visits, and in recent years have started thinking about the differences in lifestyle and wanting more of what I've experienced and still see in the UK.

My interests? traveling, ukulele, reading, gardening. I'm now semi-retired, still doing some consulting, helping my spouse with his business, and enjoying being part of my grandchild's life.

My dream? At the moment, it's a flat in Penzance or somewhere similar on a good train line from London where I can walk coastal paths and shop local, get involved in the community, enjoy some art and museums and theatre and I'm not too fussy about that. I imagine myself making a couple of longish trips each year and sharing the space with other family and friends.

Looking forward to learning more here.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 1:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've often thought of myself as mid-Atlantic

Good morning, Jane and welcome to BE

With all your back and forthing over the years between the UK and the US, I guess you have a firm grip on the handle of things to do when switching residency from one country to the other. I was just enjoying a travel show about Penzance. If your grandchild is living in the US, I can see a very frustrated Granny on the horizon.

The forums are open to you to browse through and participate in as you will. After a brief read of the site rules, please venture into what strikes your fancy. Perhaps it might the US forums or The Moving Back to the UK forums.

Again, welcome to BE

http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
Old Nov 1st 2019, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Well, I've already told the granchild's parents that summer holidays with me in Cornwall are a must! I can think of few things better in those pre-teen years. British citizen by descent, so having that experience will be so valuable.

I believe one of the factors influencing the differences between UK and US societies is the experience of other countries and cultures. It is much easier, and less expensive, to travel internationally when you're based in the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

But most people in UK have restricted experience of the outside world. How many of our young people have experince od other countries, cultures and languages.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Well, I don't know for sure of course. But here's a January 2018 BBC story about US residents traveling internationally, and at that point 42% of US citizens had passports, compared to 76% of people in England and Wales who had a UK passport in the 2011 census. It's not cheap to get a passport, so people usually only get them when they intend to travel.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And most travellers from UK travel to tourist ghettos in Spain or Greece or even further afield. Few are independent travellers who actually experience life with Johnnie Foreigner !