Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

I'm planning to set up an off-grid lifestyle in France.

I'm planning to set up an off-grid lifestyle in France.

Old Nov 3rd 2022, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm planning to set up an off-grid lifestyle in France.

I'm planning to set up an off-grid lifestyle in France, and I'd like to connect with like-minded people.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm planning to set up an off-grid lifestyle in France.

Originally Posted by Stephen 369
I'm planning to set up an off-grid lifestyle in France, and I'd like to connect with like-minded people.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'm almost off grid but in the UK and not intentionally, we just bought a house that isn't on mains gas/water/sewage etc! But if you head to our France forum you may well find some folks there with experiences to share.

It's worth mentioning your visa status or plans when you post, as obviously since Brexit that's the first step, so worth getting that out of the way for those that are going to try and help you.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 3rd 2022 at 1:06 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat122 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the reply, whereabouts in the UK are you based? The reason I've chose France is because of the very low prices on derelict properties and land, I can't afford the UK. I've got an Irish passport, so I don't need a visa, or at least I don't think I need a visa?
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 2:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen 369
Thank you for the reply, whereabouts in the UK are you based? The reason I've chose France is because of the very low prices on derelict properties and land, I can't afford the UK. I've got an Irish passport, so I don't need a visa, or at least I don't think I need a visa?
In Berkshire, our house was completely derelict when we bought it, we had a very glamorous year in a caravan whilst we did major things like the roof, put heating in etc. We had a 4 year old, a 6 year old and several pets including dogs and cats so it was an experience to say the least!

Yes, an Irish passport does sort that side of things which is good.

Best of luck, hope you can find the perfect property.
Old Nov 7th 2022, 5:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Before doing anything check that you can actually live on the land, and also the requirements to have various work done by registered workmen.
Please also have a quick read of the forum rules. Site Rules | British Expatriate Community (britishexpats.com)