Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

I'm new here - so just saying Hi! - contemplating a move to the States

I'm new here - so just saying Hi! - contemplating a move to the States

Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:48 am
Account Closed

Amosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really nice
Default I'm new here - so just saying Hi! - contemplating a move to the States

Our family are contemplating a move to the States. There is me, hubby, daughter (6) and son (17).

Hubby works for an American company - based in Akron, Ohio - and he has been approached about an equivalent job over there with the prospect of a promotion in a couple of years time.

As is my nature I've gone straight into "practical" mode and have been trying to look at houses, schools etc!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:24 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm new here - so just saying Hi!

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including the USA can be found here.

I see that you have already found your way around the relevant fora.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm new here - so just saying Hi!

Originally Posted by Amosthalfaweek
Our family are contemplating a move to the States. There is me, hubby, daughter (6) and son (17).

Hubby works for an American company - based in Akron, Ohio - and he has been approached about an equivalent job over there with the prospect of a promotion in a couple of years time.

As is my nature I've gone straight into "practical" mode and have been trying to look at houses, schools etc!
Hi there and welcome to the site.

I see you are managing to find your way around and have already started to post in our US Forum. Should you have any questions about the actual immigration process we have an US Immigration Forum. The regular members who post in that forum will be pleased to help you with any questions you may have.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:27 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm new here - so just saying Hi! - contemplating a move to the States

Hi Almost half

Glad to see you are already finding your feet on our US forums. I am sure you will find lots of advice on there detailing all the things you need to do to help make the move go smoothly. I hope you are also enjoying joining in soem of the fun stuff there too.
That just leaves me to say welcome to BE from me too and good luck with your move

Dread -x
Old Oct 20th 2010, 2:30 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm new here - so just saying Hi! - contemplating a move to the States

Originally Posted by Amosthalfaweek

Just wanted to add my welcome to everyone else's. Welcome to BE, I hope you enjoy being part of our community.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE...and good luck with the job offer!

Sounds like a company transfer if he stays within the company, which would be great as you'll be allowed to work, but the kids won't be, which for highschoolers might not be so fun for them.

Plenty of great threads to get your head over the whole thing as well as the wiki, from shipping, insurance, credit, setting up shop and the rest. Also search out threads on education, especially with kids looking at university.

city-data.com is another good resource to find info about a specific area
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:14 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

Just noticed that you mentioned your son is 17. I am sure he has some thoughts about such a big move. We have a Youth clib forum on BE which is for teenagers only - you will find it on the main forum index page if you scroll down past the country forums. He might find it fun to join in there and get to know some other expat teens.

Good luck

Dread - x