Move to USA

Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:50 am
Just Joined

patience31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to USA

Hi.. My husband's job is moving us from UK to East Coast. Very excited.......very overwhelmed... Found this site whilst trawling internet- great advice already thanks!
So: We're looking around the triangle of Allentown/Philadelphia/New York areas (husband happy to do hour+ commute to office in Allentown). Priorities: family living, school for our 6 year old daughter, in town rather than outside in sticks-usual stuff.
Happy to hear from anyone with advice!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to USA

Originally Posted by patience31
Hi.. My husband's job is moving us from UK to East Coast. Very excited.......very overwhelmed... Found this site whilst trawling internet- great advice already thanks!
So: We're looking around the triangle of Allentown/Philadelphia/New York areas (husband happy to do hour+ commute to office in Allentown). Priorities: family living, school for our 6 year old daughter, in town rather than outside in sticks-usual stuff.
Hi there and welcome to BE

For general questions about life in the US, try asking in the main USA forum - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

You'll also find some sub-forums for specifics, or off topic chats / gossip.

Good luck with your move, and again welcome
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Whoops....thank you. Will try again ( not a forum user in normal life!)
Thanks for reply
P
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops....thank you. Will try again ( not a forum user in normal life!)
Thanks for reply
P
Not a problem - shout if you need help
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:54 am
Just Joined

EssexAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Exciting times for you all, ditto that scenario (and there's meant to be a recession going on they say).
I grew up in NY/NJ - I can say that it will be a great experience for you all.
Is it Allentown NJ or Allentown, PA? Bit of a difference.
Avoid Trenton I'd suggest, Lawrenceville is a decent neighbourhood in NJ and as for NY, there are plenty to recommend. Its just the commute time and wanting to tackle the tri-state bridge etc.

Good Luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replies. Thought I ought to wait until I know what kind of visa we'll be on- since someone asked- before I got back on. Seems we'll be on a L-1 visa. And someone asked which Allentown- it's Allentown PA.

Lawrenceville, Pennington, Princeton Junction- all recommended by a friend who used to live around the area. After some time on Zillow and Great schools I'm getting to see how it works.....I think! I need to look at permanent threads on here about taxes I think.
What about New Hope PA area anyone?
There's a lot of 'I think's in this email- another side effect of moving- I think...maybe...Ahhh
Thanks again for advice
P
Old Sep 26th 2013, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

uk2bx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , new hope pa is very nice , quite touristy though , I live in NYC but go to pa a few times a year for work , will be there next week , Allentown area
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

pixie84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello my name is Ben Pixton,
I would like to live and work in the United States as a registered nurse. I was wondering if you could provide me with some more information in how I should go about this
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by pixie84
I would like to live and work in the United States as a registered nurse. I was wondering if you could provide me with some more information in how I should go about this
Hi Ben, and welcome to BE

I don't know if you've found the USA section (there's a link above) but the guys there will be able to offer the best advice.

Good luck
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixie84
Welcome to BE.

There are plenty of threads on nurses and US immigration. Unless you're already a US citizen, or have a greencard some how, it's not going to happen as a nurse, no visa's if we're going to be simplistic about it and then 50 states, 50 different rules on being registered to practice on top.