Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

I'd like to become an ex-pat

I'd like to become an ex-pat

Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

MAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant future
Default I'd like to become an ex-pat

Greetings from London,

For a lot of the same reasons that prompted the other members to leave Blighty, I'm thinking of doing it myself. So I decided to join this site so I can profit from other people's comments and stories.

Thank you in advance,
MA Connelly
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'd like to become an ex-pat

Hi and welcome to BE,

What part of the world are you thinking of moving to?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAConnelly
Greetings from London,

For a lot of the same reasons that prompted the other members to leave Blighty, I'm thinking of doing it myself. So I decided to join this site so I can profit from other people's comments and stories.

Thank you in advance,
MA Connelly
Hi there and welcome.

Remember the grass at the other side of the fence isn't always greener...or as some on here put it...same sh*t but a different bucket. Every country has it's problems...sometimes it takes a move to a different country to really appreciate what a great country the UK is.

What country/countries are you interested in moving to?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:43 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MAC

Welcome to BE.
You have certainly come to the right place for a wealth of information and insight into a great many different parts of the world.
Unless you already have in mind where you would like to move to, my advice would be to click on the 'forum index' button on the pink bar at the top of this page. You will then see a whole list of countires, each one being a dedicated forum. See which ones jump out at you and just take a read, post any questions you have, and join in the chat. Be warned though it gets addictive !!!
If you scroll down the forum index page past the list of countries you will see a section entitled 'Working abroad by profession'. Several different occupations have their own forum, so it may be worth a look to see if your vocation has a forum, then you can chat direct to others who work abroad in different countries.

Don't forget to take a read of the stickies at the top front page of each forum (they are the ones with a red title) - they contain important information for that forum.

The main thing is jump in and join in, and have fun exploring your options

Hope you enjoy the research

Dread - x
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:54 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
... Remember the grass at the other side of the fence isn't always greener...or as some on here put it...same sh*t but a different bucket ...
Or one I like: The grass is always greener over the soakaway.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What country/countries are you interested in moving to?
Been in Canada for ages myself ... if you're thinking of Canada, think on!
Greetings from London,

Thank you in advance,
MA Connelly
Hello and welcome, MAConnelly,

I've heard wonderful things from mates bout Oz and NZ. The far west of Canada on the southern coast of British Columbia, is beautiful ... mild weather and ample rain —like England with mountains— but the rest can be a challenge in winter.

Welcome to B.E. —Greetings from Ontario, Canada— and good luck with your future wherever that may be!

Best,
Christian
Old Sep 26th 2011, 2:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings from London,

For a lot of the same reasons that prompted the other members to leave Blighty, I'm thinking of doing it myself.

Hello MA and welcome to BE. We left ol' Blighty ourselves in 2005 and don't regret the move at all.... though the expat life is unpredictable... and we've ended up in a country we didn't plan to move to There ya go. It happens.

Are you going to move to work, or move to retire? Any countries that take your fancy? Anyway, happy planning. There's a LOT of good info on BE.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

MAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant futureMAConnelly has a brilliant future

Gosh, thank you for all the friendly responses. I'm overwhelmed!

I'd like to move to the US if possible--not Florida (!) I have a friend in Colorado and have visited her there lots of times, so rather fancy the Denver area, or San Francisco if that's not possible. I'm in my 30s, without partner or kids, healthy, no criminal convictions, and have a small business I'd like to move to the U S.

Best,
Mac
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, thank you for all the friendly responses. I'm overwhelmed!

I'd like to move to the US if possible--not Florida (!) I have a friend in Colorado and have visited her there lots of times, so rather fancy the Denver area, or San Francisco if that's not possible. I'm in my 30s, without partner or kids, healthy, no criminal convictions, and have a small business I'd like to move to the U S.

Best,
Mac
The US is one of the hardest countries in the world for Brits to move to. Take a read through this...if you can tick any of the boxes you may have a chance in living and working here.

You say you have a small business...that may be a way in for you. I suggest you post your immigration questions in the US Immigration and Visas forum. You will get lot of good advice from the regulars who post in there. General questions about life in the US should be posted in the US Forum. The Trailer Park is for general chit chat.

Please take time to take a look in the BE Wiki...it's a great source for information. Also please read through any stickied threads that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Noorah101, Bob, MsElui, avanutria and penguinsix.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.