I want to move abroad!

I want to move abroad!

Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:28 am
Just Joined

russcane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I want to move abroad!

Hi all,

My name is Russell and I am 33.

My father passed away 2 years ago leaving me with a large inheritance.
I bought my brother and sister out of his house and I currently live there with my cat.
I work in a job that is mundane that I do not enjoy. I live in a house that is worth 80k more than what I need even in the area I live in.
I want to quit my job, sell the house, contents and car, live with my sister or mum if need be before taking the plunge and buying somewhere.

I want to do something huge and move abroad. Likely destinations being places in Europe, Spain, Tenerife, Greece, Malta etc. Preferably English speaking but I am willing to learn a language if need be.

I am looking to buy a property outright for approx £30,000 leaving me with six figures in my account.
I still want to work, beit bar work, security, restaurant waiting etc. or the other option is to buy and sell on ebay as a source of income.
I also have new website ideas but do not have the means or experience to launch them, that's something to look at in the future by employing a web developer first but bar work etc is a first port of call.

As I have never done anything like this before I literally need to know everything.

Best places for English speaking?
Best places for work?
Best places to take a cat with me?
Living costs of these places, ie. council tax, if an apartment upkeep costs etc.
My position as staying as a UK resident?
And literally anything else, I seriously know nothing about the subject.

I will appreciate all advice however small it may be.
I loved my father to pieces but as I am now in a position of power and I don't need to work here in a job I don't want to be in and in a country that I have no need to live in I need to sort my life out and do something about it.

Please, please, please could you all help me with some ideas on what I should do and how I should go about doing it?

My current idea is to sell the house, contents and car and move over to let's say Spain and rent somewhere, if I like the area, think it'll be good workwise etc then look for 2 apartments to buy. One to live in, the other to rent as at least some form of income. Both 30k ish so 60k total, still elaving me with plenty of funds to fall on.
Is this a good idea?
What would be the best areas to consider? It'd need to be busy enough to find work and guarantee that I can rent out the second apartment but still cheap enough to get 2 apartments for that price.
I'd need to know appox rental costs in Spain for 1/2 bed apartments for as soon as I get there plus what I'd expect as an income on the one I'd rent,

Many thanks, Russell.

Last edited by russcane; Jan 30th 2014 at 12:05 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:18 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to move abroad!

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Before you do anything, make sure you do plenty of research. Your perceived surplus of GBP 80K may sound like a lot of money to you but, if you are not in secure employment, believe you me, it can disappear quickly. So do some homework.

If Spain is where you wish to be, then do head over to the Spain section of the forum and ask some questions. I believe Spain has pretty bad unemployment at the moment but I'm sure the Spain folks will let you know about that. Also make sure you understand the tax rules in Spain so you don't get any nasty surprises.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Welcome to BE

I second Bakedbeans suggestions. While you have the surplus from the sale of the house (when sold and if sold for the amount you think it is worth), as you noted one needs not only gainful employment, but employment that one enjoys doing day in and day out.

I would add a suggestion that you read, ask questions and participate in general in the forums on BE that are for places that you are thinking of relocating to. Also I would suggest that you read the forum about moving back to the UK to get a feel of what some expats have experienced abroad in the countries they lived in for a while.

Rete
Old Jan 30th 2014, 8:27 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi russcane,

Welcome to BE!!

Looks like you are finding your way around the forum ok and getting to know everyone. I'm sure you will pick up lots of info here.

If I were you I would have a read through all the forums in our Europe section too, as our members are great at sharing experiences and BE is a great hand to read first hand accounts of how other members have moved abroad. So you might find that by reading through all the other country section that a country you had thought about before will jump out at you.