Reload this Page >

Buckinghamshire to New York

Buckinghamshire to New York

Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:37 am
Tattooed housewife

MummyKitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buckinghamshire to New York

Hello!

I'm in the process of moving to New York with my husband and two young children. I found this forum when looking for support on dealing with guilt issues around emigration, it's a hot topic for me at the moment! I feel so guilty and so selfish!

We have spent a fair few holidays in the US and always loved it. I particularly adore California, however the job situation didn't work out when we were applying there and when Hubbles was offered a job with visa sponsorship in New York we realised how much better it would be in terms of coming back to visit family and having family out to visit us.

Our visa is in the final stages of being prepared before being sent in to the immigration office so we're biting nails and warily continuing to clear out our cluttered 3 bedroom house.

IN a couple of weeks we fly out to NY for two weeks where Hubbles will be working full time in the NY office and I'll be let loose on Manhattan with my girls, a debit card and the certain knowledge that anything we buy will cost us money to bring back again! We're also hoping to do some househunting in Westchester, or at the very least narrowing down our list of towns we'd like to live in. Ideally I'd like a nice pedestrian-friendly downtown area and train station both walkable from our house.

Initially we'll be renting with a view to buy, and we'll be renting out our house in the UK to leave our options open as far as coming home if we decide it isn't what we were expecting. Planning on giving ourselves 2-3 years before we consider that option though, to make sure we have settled in.

So in short, I'm new, stressed, scared and excited!
Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buckinghamshire to New York

Have a great time in New York.

What towns in Westchester are you looking at? Quite a few of them have a pedestrian oriented "downtown" district. Larchmont and Rye are particularly lovely areas, as is Bronxville. I spent part of my childhood in Chappaqua, on the west side of Westchester County and the belt of villages along the Sawmill Parkway are quite attractive in a more "country" setting than the towns on the eastern side of Westchester.

Have you also considered New Jersey or Connecticut? Depending on where your husband's office is located it may be a much shorter commute to New Jersey than to Westchester County.

Originally Posted by MummyKitty
Hello!

I'm in the process of moving to New York with my husband and two young children. I found this forum when looking for support on dealing with guilt issues around emigration, it's a hot topic for me at the moment! I feel so guilty and so selfish!

We have spent a fair few holidays in the US and always loved it. I particularly adore California, however the job situation didn't work out when we were applying there and when Hubbles was offered a job with visa sponsorship in New York we realised how much better it would be in terms of coming back to visit family and having family out to visit us.

Our visa is in the final stages of being prepared before being sent in to the immigration office so we're biting nails and warily continuing to clear out our cluttered 3 bedroom house.

IN a couple of weeks we fly out to NY for two weeks where Hubbles will be working full time in the NY office and I'll be let loose on Manhattan with my girls, a debit card and the certain knowledge that anything we buy will cost us money to bring back again! We're also hoping to do some househunting in Westchester, or at the very least narrowing down our list of towns we'd like to live in. Ideally I'd like a nice pedestrian-friendly downtown area and train station both walkable from our house.

Initially we'll be renting with a view to buy, and we'll be renting out our house in the UK to leave our options open as far as coming home if we decide it isn't what we were expecting. Planning on giving ourselves 2-3 years before we consider that option though, to make sure we have settled in.

Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MummyKitty
Hello!

Hello and welcome to BE.

There are lots of threads about NYC and the NYC Metro Area...New York/Connecticut/New Years...over in the US Forums. There is a search engine located at the top of the page...go to Advanced Search and search the US forums for New York/New York City etc...this should find you all the past threads on the area. Once you have read through all the threads....I suggest you repost the above questions in the US forums. We have many members living in the area...they will be pleased to help answer your questions.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:30 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MummyKitty,

Welcome to BE and Congratulations on your upcoming move to NY. Sounds like you are being really sensible about the whole house hunting thing. Many people tend to buy a house really quickly and whilst that may be great for them I always feel it's best to rent for a while first whilst you get to the know the area etc.

I'm sure you will enjoy BE, we've got quite a few member NY way and I know that you will pick up lots of tips here.

Sue
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I assume when you say New York...you mean New York City. If so you may wish to live outside the city...especially when you have children. I recommend you take a look through Englishmum's threads and posts...I think you'll find some excellent advice on school's/transport/property etc for the area. Many people who work in NYC live within a 45/60 minute commute of the city. It takes 1 hour by train from where I live in New Jersey...I think Englishmum is about a 45 min ride away.

Edit: If you have a problem finding the old threads I mentioned in my post #2...please give me a shout and I will help you find them. Unfortunately the search facility is time sensitive...so if I search for them it will almost probably have timed out before you read it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 7th 2011 at 4:55 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MummyKitty!

Welcome to BE. I second Sue's observation that you seem to be approaching this move very sensibly. It's a scary time but hopefully the beginnings of a wonderful adventure for your family.

Please don't be a stranger and keep us posted on how you're doing. You'll find many sympathetic souls here.

Kaffy
Old Aug 8th 2011, 8:42 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:55 pm
Tattooed housewife

MummyKitty is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the info, it's incredibly helpful. I've been feeling quite alone as nobody understands why we are moving and I don't know anyone else who has moved abroad with a family. It's really good to have some company!

How do you all deal with guilt?! I'm suffering particularly badly at the moment! I thought if I included friends and family by telling them about each stage of our decision-making as it happened that they would understand how important this adventure is for us, but my husband feels it's more like rubbing their noses in it. My family are mostly supportive but very very upset about 'losing' us.