Hiya

Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:14 pm
Banned

Mack the Hack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hiya

Hiya, I am living and working in Monaco and will be retiring in a couple of years so my thoughts are running towards finding somewhere to retire to as Monaco will be too expensive. Obvioulsy tax and cost of living are gonna be very important.

I’m kinda surprised there’s no real retirement section on here (or maybe I couldn’t find it) as lots of British Expats retire abroad. I see there are a couple of really good threads in the Malasyia section about retirement but Asia is not really my first first choice.

As there’s not a forum for Monaco maybe some kind soul can point me in the right direction?

Regards, Mack
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiya

Hi Mack, welcome to BE.

I thought "Malaysia" was the retirement section.

So far as there is a pattern on BE, the largest number of retirees can probably be found on the Moving Back to the UK forum. Others often follow their emigrant children to the "usual places" (Australia, NZ, Canada, US).

Obviously Spain and Portugal are popular retirement destinations, and to a lesser degree, Italy, and number of people are retiring to Cyprus or Malta. The Philippines also seem popular.

Not that I've seen it on BE, but Panama is a popular low-cost retirement destination for US citizens.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 22nd 2016 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mack the Hack
Hiya, I am living and working in Monaco and will be retiring in a couple of years so my thoughts are running towards finding somewhere to retire to as Monaco will be too expensive. Obvioulsy tax and cost of living are gonna be very important.

I’m kinda surprised there’s no real retirement section on here (or maybe I couldn’t find it) as lots of British Expats retire abroad. I see there are a couple of really good threads in the Malasyia section about retirement but Asia is not really my first first choice.

As there’s not a forum for Monaco maybe some kind soul can point me in the right direction?

Regards, Mack
Welcome to BE.

there will be plenty of threads on retirement in the individual country forums, but with requirements being so widely variable in getting the visas (if you need them) a retirement section would be onfusing, as to no Monaco thread, I suspect that we get far too few posts from your country to make it worthwhile. Look at the France forum or the general Europe forum for more info. If wanting to consider further afield, the the individual contries would be the best place to ask questions.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

You have already received good advice from the above posts...so I cannot add a great deal.

If you need help with anything site related...please let me know.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 6:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hi Mack, welcome to BE.

I thought "Malaysia" was the retirement section.

So far as there is a pattern on BE, the largest number of retirees can probably be found on the Moving Back to the UK forum. Others often follow their emigrant children to the "usual places" (Australia, NZ, Canada, US).

Obviously Spain and Portugal are popular retirement destinations, and to a lesser degree, Italy, and number of people are retiring to Cyprus or Malta. The Philippines also seem popular.

Not that I've seen it on BE, but Panama is a popular low-cost retirement destination for US citizens.
Thanks for the pointers, Pulaski. Panama interests me as I went there some year ago and thought it was quite beautiful. Again there is no no country-specific forum, so presumably not many members living there.

Oddly enough I did a forum search and there are a couple of interesting write-ups on Panama in the Malaysia forum, so I guess you are right and this is the go-to section for retirement. I'll see if I can nestle in there
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 6:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Welcome to BE.

there will be plenty of threads on retirement in the individual country forums, but with requirements being so widely variable in getting the visas (if you need them) a retirement section would be onfusing, as to no Monaco thread, I suspect that we get far too few posts from your country to make it worthwhile. Look at the France forum or the general Europe forum for more info. If wanting to consider further afield, the the individual contries would be the best place to ask questions.
Thanks for the welcome mikelincs. It seems to me that if you don't have a forum for a country then you won't get people joining from that country. Simples.

Monaco and France already share a border and a language but folks here don't really wanna share much more than that.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 7:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks Mikelincs & Pulaski for the very helpful posts.
However this is not a genuine registration so I'm closing the thread before anyone else wastes their time.

Ta.