Reload this Page >

I have a jouney to carry out in UK

I have a jouney to carry out in UK

Old May 12th 2011, 2:36 am
sbb
Just Joined

sbb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have a jouney to carry out in UK

Very nice to meet you all. My name is Sue.

For years it has been clear to me that I have a past history.....very strong....with London and other parts of UK. I have some guidance but would appreciate any recommendations for living in UK in some outlying hamlet around the London area. This is not just a thought for me.....it really is a quest. Whether you buy the "quest" part or not I would love to hear from you. I believe there is someone here with a message for me.

Thanks
Old May 12th 2011, 2:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have a jouney to carry out in UK

Originally Posted by sbb
Very nice to meet you all. My name is Sue.

For years it has been clear to me that I have a past history.....very strong....with London and other parts of UK. I have some guidance but would appreciate any recommendations for living in UK in some outlying hamlet around the London area. This is not just a thought for me.....it really is a quest. Whether you buy the "quest" part or not I would love to hear from you. I believe there is someone here with a message for me.

Thanks
Hello Sue and welcome to BE.

Are you British or do you have a visa that will allow you to live in the UK?
Old May 12th 2011, 10:38 am
sbb
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello Sue and welcome to BE.

Are you British or do you have a visa that will allow you to live in the UK?
Hi Thanks for the reply. No I do not have a visa nor am I a citizen. I think if I found the right place to live I would gain all those things. The part that is important to me now is the feel of a place.

Are you a UK citizen? Can you tell me about where you live and what life is like on a daily basis?

Hope to talk to you soon.

Sue
Old May 12th 2011, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sbb
Hi Thanks for the reply. No I do not have a visa nor am I a citizen. I think if I found the right place to live I would gain all those things. The part that is important to me now is the feel of a place.

Are you a UK citizen? Can you tell me about where you live and what life is like on a daily basis?

Sue
I think it would be useful if you could let everyone know a little bit about yourself and why you wish to live in the UK, also how you feel you will be able to obtain the appropriate visa to live there. If you can do this the Mods may move your post to MBTUK section of the site where there will no doubt be people willing to assist.

You will need lots of money to live in a little hamlet on the outskirts of London!
Old May 12th 2011, 1:27 pm
sbb
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aries_bird
I think it would be useful if you could let everyone know a little bit about yourself and why you wish to live in the UK, also how you feel you will be able to obtain the appropriate visa to live there. If you can do this the Mods may move your post to MBTUK section of the site where there will no doubt be people willing to assist.

You will need lots of money to live in a little hamlet on the outskirts of London!
Thank you.....This is the kind of information I am looking for.

I live in Florida is a wonderful community named the Villages of which I would be happy to trade homes with someone for a few months each year so I can get my UK fix.

I am retired with funds to do a move or a longterm visit.

The community I live in has lots of Canadian home owners and they all seen to love it.

One drawback is that children under 18 are not permitted.

I have an online co I can bring anywhere with me that gives me a pretty good monthly income. US$ of course. It costs me about $3000 a month here now and that is including expenses,food,travel, car/gas, income US taxes at 20%,property taxes etc.

When you say it is expensive for a hamlet in UK..about what (US) per month?
Now that I have gotten on a roll with the house swapping idea....is this viable and would it provide me with the opportunity to enjoy the UK life I feel so compeld to explore.

What do you think?

Thank you
Sue
Old May 12th 2011, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sbb

Sue
You're wasting your time finding out about places to live unless you are a Brit or have a visa. You say you will gain them...how?

In another post you said 'I have an online co I can bring anywhere with me that gives me a pretty good monthly income. US$ of course. It costs me about $3000 a month here now and that is including expenses,food,travel, car/gas, income US taxes at 20%,property taxes etc'. I assume you mean you receive income from working on line. If so you cannot work in the UK without a work visa...working remotely online doesn't make any difference as your physical person would be in the UK.

Yes I am British. I suggest you take a look at the UK Yankee website...it's for Americans living in the UK. As we are mostly Brits on here most have little knowledge about UK visas as we don't need them...that's where the people on that forum may be able to help you.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 12th 2011 at 1:42 pm.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:04 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sbb

Jerseygirl is correct. You will need to establish whether you are eligible for a visa before you consider coming to the UK, and certainly if you intend running your online business you would require a visa that allows you to work full time. I would strongly advise you to check this factor out before anything else.

You can either look on the forum Jerseygirl has put you onto, or contact the UK embassy/UK High Commission nearest to you in the USA, as they will be able to furnish you with the correct advice and procedures.

I am not sure that you will have too many takers for a long term house swap, but if you can get a visa you will find plenty of rental properties. London is very expensive, as are the 'commuter belt' counties immediately surrounding London. However if you are happy to go a little further such as Sussex or Hampshire or somewhere a similar distance away, you will find that a two bedroom house will cost somewhere between £650 - £750 per month to rent.
Hampshire and Sussex are approximately 1.25 hours drive or train journey from London.

Anyway welcome to BE and I wish you all the best fulilling what is obviously a strong wish of yours.

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; May 12th 2011 at 6:10 pm.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I think reading at UK Yankee would be more informative for a US citizen's view of living in the UK as well.. it may not be what you are expecting.
Not trying to chase you off from here! But it would be smart to get that perspective as well.
Old May 12th 2011, 7:41 pm
sbb
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're wasting your time finding out about places to live unless you are a Brit or have a visa. You say you will gain them...how?

In another post you said 'I have an online co I can bring anywhere with me that gives me a pretty good monthly income. US$ of course. It costs me about $3000 a month here now and that is including expenses,food,travel, car/gas, income US taxes at 20%,property taxes etc'. I assume you mean you receive income from working on line. If so you cannot work in the UK without a work visa...working remotely online doesn't make any difference as your physical person would be in the UK.

Yes I am British. I suggest you take a look at the UK Yankee website...it's for Americans living in the UK. As we are mostly Brits on here most have little knowledge about UK visas as we don't need them...that's where the people on that forum may be able to help you.
Thanks
Old May 12th 2011, 7:46 pm
sbb
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Sbb

Jerseygirl is correct. You will need to establish whether you are eligible for a visa before you consider coming to the UK, and certainly if you intend running your online business you would require a visa that allows you to work full time. I would strongly advise you to check this factor out before anything else.

You can either look on the forum Jerseygirl has put you onto, or contact the UK embassy/UK High Commission nearest to you in the USA, as they will be able to furnish you with the correct advice and procedures.

I am not sure that you will have too many takers for a long term house swap, but if you can get a visa you will find plenty of rental properties. London is very expensive, as are the 'commuter belt' counties immediately surrounding London. However if you are happy to go a little further such as Sussex or Hampshire or somewhere a similar distance away, you will find that a two bedroom house will cost somewhere between £650 - £750 per month to rent.
Hampshire and Sussex are approximately 1.25 hours drive or train journey from London.

Anyway welcome to BE and I wish you all the best fulilling what is obviously a strong wish of yours.

Dread - x
Thank you .... who knows what effect your help has had on a person's life.....and isn't that the most important legacey any of us can do in our lifetime?
Old May 12th 2011, 7:51 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sbb
Thank you .... who knows what effect your help has had on a person's life.....and isn't that the most important legacey any of us can do in our lifetime?
Glad I could hopefully help Sbb

Good luck

Dread - x