British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hi Y'All - Brit in Texas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hi-yall-brit-texas-718757/)

Sue May 29th 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Hi Y'All - Brit in Texas

Originally Posted by Anne Elliot (Post 9395539)
Eureka! I was looking for it after I'd already gone to 'reply'....

Also, could you help me with a profile picture. I found one within the regulation 100 x 100 pixels, I put the URL in, the image shows on my screen, but when I go to 'save' or something like that, the computer says Noooo

Actually it says 'upload of file failed' I tried again with a smaller image 80 x 80, still no luck....

The maximum size for avatars is 65 x 65 pixels or 32.0 KB.

For Premium Members the maximum size of your custom image is 90 by 90 pixels or 40.0 KB, whichever is smaller.

So your avatar can only be 65 x 65 or smaller.

Anne Elliot May 29th 2011 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9395559)

For Premium Members the maximum size of your custom image is 90 by 90 pixels or 40.0 KB, whichever is smaller.

Where did I see 100 x 100 then? I'll find a smaller one, thanks for replying so quickly....

Jerseygirl May 29th 2011 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9395559)

I thought maybe it was an avatar pic...but Anne asked about her profile pic...it does say 100 x 100.

Sally Redux May 29th 2011 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Anne Elliot (Post 9395563)
Where did I see 100 x 100 then? I'll find a smaller one, thanks for replying so quickly....

The profile pic is only seen if someone looks at your profile. If you want a picture next to your name, you need to 'edit avatar' and that has to be 65x65.

You can resize pictures with something like this:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

Anne Elliot May 29th 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9395648)
The profile pic is only seen if someone looks at your profile. If you want a picture next to your name, you need to 'edit avatar' and that has to be 65x65.

You can resize pictures with something like this:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

Thanks - I didn't appreciate the difference!

AmyM73 Jun 2nd 2011 1:05 am

Hi Anne! Welcome to BE! I live in Texas too!!! We will probably be moving down to the Houston area very soon. We've been searching for houses online and such. Hope you enjoy Austin. :D

Anne Elliot Jun 2nd 2011 2:43 am

Originally Posted by AmyM73 (Post 9404073)
Hi Anne! Welcome to BE! I live in Texas too!!! We will probably be moving down to the Houston area very soon. We've been searching for houses online and such. Hope you enjoy Austin. :D

Thanks for the welcome! I've just looked up Longview on Google maps, I had no idea where it was. Houston will be quite a change I suspect. It looks as if it's pretty rural up there.

Good luck with your move.

Anne

AmyM73 Jun 2nd 2011 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Anne Elliot (Post 9404168)
Thanks for the welcome! I've just looked up Longview on Google maps, I had no idea where it was. Houston will be quite a change I suspect. It looks as if it's pretty rural up there.

Good luck with your move.

Anne

Very rural compared to Houston. My husband and I went down to Spring, Humble and The Woodlands searching for houses and areas this past weekend. The traffic was worse than Dallas! I don't mind driving in Dallas and know my way around there pretty good, but towards Houston was horrid. We'll probably end up living in The Woodlands because it reminds me more of 'home' in a sense that there are a lot of trees and is much more quiet. Plus there is Goodwood's British Shop in The Woodlands. :) Have to get my stock of mushy peas and Branston Pickle. :D

Anne Elliot Jun 2nd 2011 2:59 am

Originally Posted by AmyM73 (Post 9404177)
Very rural compared to Houston. My husband and I went down to Spring, Humble and The Woodlands searching for houses and areas this past weekend. The traffic was worse than Dallas! I don't mind driving in Dallas and know my way around there pretty good, but towards Houston was horrid. We'll probably end up living in The Woodlands because it reminds me more of 'home' in a sense that there are a lot of trees and is much more quiet. Plus there is Goodwood's British Shop in The Woodlands. :) Have to get my stock of mushy peas and Branston Pickle. :D

I know that area, and the Goodwood's British store - it's very expensive - so I don't go there often. Some of the Fiesta supermarket chains have really good British food sections, I know the one at Willowbrook does. The Woodlands has quite a few Brits living there. If you want info about that area, ask away....

AmyM73 Jun 2nd 2011 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Anne Elliot (Post 9404197)
I know that area, and the Goodwood's British store - it's very expensive - so I don't go there often. Some of the Fiesta supermarket chains have really good British food sections, I know the one at Willowbrook does. The Woodlands has quite a few Brits living there. If you want info about that area, ask away....

Thank you so much! I really liked the Cochran's Crossing area. When he and I lived in Ft. Worth, they had a little British section in there that I would buy from. I will check out that Fiesta when we're down there again soon.

Anne Elliot Jun 2nd 2011 3:43 am

Originally Posted by AmyM73 (Post 9404226)
I really liked the Cochran's Crossing area.

Ah, I know it well... not too far from I45 and the Mall area. The traffic out to the western (newer) parts of the Woodlands is vicious in the rush hour. You'll do well not to live too far in the back.

AmyM73 Jun 2nd 2011 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Anne Elliot (Post 9404259)
Ah, I know it well... not too far from I45 and the Mall area. The traffic out to the western (newer) parts of the Woodlands is vicious in the rush hour. You'll do well not to live too far in the back.

Any idea about the Panther Creek and Indian Springs area? I have been told that the Panther Creek area isn't a decent area of The Woodlands. I think it's Indian Springs. I've seen a few houses for sale in that area in my massive online search. It's easy enough to find a house, but my husband wants a pool in the back yard (garden), so that limits the options. I just want a decent and more quiet area.

I think I have myself pictured hibernating once we do the move so I won't have to be out in the traffic. :) We might go hungry if I do that!!:rofl: