Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi from the UK, and HELP!

Hi from the UK, and HELP!

Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

lijaan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hi from the UK, and HELP!

Hi everyone, I so desperatly need some advice from you guys as i dont know where to start. my hubby and i have dreamed of moving to the USA/Canada for years, hubby used to live in USA for about 3 years when in his teens as he had a soccer scholarship, we visit every year. We know how difficult it is to get into the USA and we have turned out sights to Canada which we both love, but we dont know where to start. We were thinking about the ontario region but are open to any suggestions, we have 2 children aged 10 and 8 and 2 dogs, all that would be coming with us. We own our house outright so we can easily sell it for the costs for moving and immigration. We both have qualifications etc but have no idea where to start with looking for work and also how to start the ball rollin re: immigration. iS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO WOULD BE KIND AND PATIENT ENOUGH TO GIVE US SOME ADVICE? We love small towns and lakes, we also know we will be in for snowfall in the winter, I dont want to wait any longer we have been dreaming for a while and to be honest I am sick of the UK I want more opportunity for my family etc. Thanks guys and i hope you all dont mind my questions xx
Old Feb 14th 2010, 1:41 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from the UK, and HELP!

Hi lijaan,

Welcome to BE. I would suggest the first thing for you to do is to read as many posts as you can in both the Canada and the USA forums. Also read the BE Wiki which has lots of great info in it. Some of the first places you should start in the Wiki are Pulaski's Ways and the Canadian Immigration Quick Guide.

We've got a great bunch of members on BE so don't be afraid to ask questions and get to know everyone.

In the meantime if you have any questions about any of the sites bells and whistles don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Sue
Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Sue posted some great links to check out so once you've had a good read of those, the immigration forums are a great place to ask questions
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:35 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

We moved from the UK to Canada 16 months ago. Unfortunately, I may not be the best person to give advice on the immigration front as we came over on the Provincial Nominee Program so the process was a bit different for us.

Check out www.emigrate2.co.uk - they do information packs etc and you can subscribe to monthly newsletters relating to moving to Canada etc. They also hold Emigrate shows which, if you can get to one, you really should. Don't know where in the UK you live but this weekend (6 and 7 March) is one at Sandown Racecourse at Esher in Surrey and the following weekend (13 and 14 March) is one at Glasgow. We went to one three years ago and found it so helpful. Gathered so much information, met so many helpful people/experts and got to go to talks and presentations etc. Invaluable really.

We live in Cochrane, Alberta, so I can happily tell you about this region or answer any questions you may have in this regard. Climate across Canada is pretty varied. Where we live, we get very little rain and it's nearly always sunny with blue skies. The summer time is lovely and hot. As far as the winters are concerned, it is probably one of the more preferable areas to be! Yes, we do get days were it is very cold but, for the most part, not too bad. I could probably count on one hand the number of days we have had snow this winter! I think the UK got far more than we did! I get the impression from talking to other people that, apart from BC, the rest of Canada generally gets much colder winters. BC tends to get a lot of rain apparently. Also, because of the proximity to the mountains, we get chinook winds that can give warm spring or summer like temperatures in winter on some days. Only last week (in February still), my children were outside playing in shorts and Ts - not what you would expect in February in Canada!

Another thing I like about where we live is that we are only half an hour from the city of Calgary and less than an hour from the mountains and lakes etc. Needless to say, we spend much of our spare time in the mountains - so beautiful and great for hiking, skiing or just chilling!

We have children too (8 and 4) and dogs. Great lifestyle here.

Get in touch if I can help you with anything else.

Originally Posted by lijaan
Hi everyone, I so desperatly need some advice from you guys as i dont know where to start. my hubby and i have dreamed of moving to the USA/Canada for years, hubby used to live in USA for about 3 years when in his teens as he had a soccer scholarship, we visit every year. We know how difficult it is to get into the USA and we have turned out sights to Canada which we both love, but we dont know where to start. We were thinking about the ontario region but are open to any suggestions, we have 2 children aged 10 and 8 and 2 dogs, all that would be coming with us. We own our house outright so we can easily sell it for the costs for moving and immigration. We both have qualifications etc but have no idea where to start with looking for work and also how to start the ball rollin re: immigration. iS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO WOULD BE KIND AND PATIENT ENOUGH TO GIVE US SOME ADVICE? We love small towns and lakes, we also know we will be in for snowfall in the winter, I dont want to wait any longer we have been dreaming for a while and to be honest I am sick of the UK I want more opportunity for my family etc. Thanks guys and i hope you all dont mind my questions xx