Reload this Page >

Hi there from a UAE/Gulf expat

Hi there from a UAE/Gulf expat

Old Jun 20th 2020, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Cobia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi there from a UAE/Gulf expat

Hi there
I'm from the North of England, and have been an expat for 28 years, living in the Basque Country, Germany, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Kuwait, and over 15 years in the UAE. My field is education, TEFL to be precise. I have just finished my Doctorate in Education at the University of Exeter, after 7 years of hard study whilst in full time work. I'm married with 2 children, and love what the UAE has to offer, which is why I've stayed so long.
I'm a keen diver and sports fisherman.
I resigned from my current position at a federal university several months ago, and now find myself trying to negotiate a new position in the midst of the Covid-19 "black swan."
Thanks for accepting me onto the forum.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi there from a UAE/Gulf expat

The good years for TEFL in the Gulf are over. I first went to KSA in 1970 when secondary schools there still recruited British teachers. I left in 2011 when the downward path for us as expats was already clear. Good luck in your search but pickings in the region are slim. China has a wide range of jobs in the field.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Cobia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi there from a UAE/Gulf expat

Nice to hear from you Scot. I believe you were active on an EFL forum for many years, which I will not name, but apparently it had a virtual cafe and you had the same name!
I enjoyed your witty and accurate posts!
You are absolutely right on the TEFL decline in the Gulf Scot. Salaries in Saudi, for example, are less than they were 35 years ago.
I resigned in from my position in November 2019 after over 15 years in the same federal job, and now find myself adrift in the UAE. I had a Plan B and Plan C lined up in terms of jobs, but Covid-19 has wiped them out. I'm now on Plan F :-)
I'll try and give it a go freelancing for a few months, but if that doesn't work, it's home time.
I can't complain. I've been in the Gulf for 20 years. Since I've been here, I've "gained" a wife and two kids, an RSA DELTA, an MSc, and an Ed. D. Unlike many expats, I work with locals, and have found them a pleasure to work with. But there again, I'm the boss! :-)
Wish you all the best in Bute, Scot. I fished Lamlash, Arran over 30 years ago.... beautiful part of the world!
Rock on!