Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi from a Newbie :) Looking to relocate to the USA

Hi from a Newbie :) Looking to relocate to the USA

Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

mrszippy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi from a Newbie :) Looking to relocate to the USA

Hello and Merry Christmas from the UK I'm new here so please be kind to me! My family and I are looking to relocate to the USA. We have a business here in the UK and our plan is to keep this running and open the same business in the USA so we would apply for the L1 visa which we've already looked into. Originally we were looking at Daniel Island in South Carolina (living there and opening business in Charleston) however after much research we're not quite sure. I would love your opinions/ideas of other areas? Before you ask - NO we have never been to the USA but are planning on coming over very soon . Thank You
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:39 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from a Newbie :)

Originally Posted by mrszippy View Post
Hello and Merry Christmas from the UK I'm new here so please be kind to me! My family and I are looking to relocate to the USA. We have a business here in the UK and our plan is to keep this running and open the same business in the USA so we would apply for the L1 visa which we've already looked into. Originally we were looking at Daniel Island in South Carolina (living there and opening business in Charleston) however after much research we're not quite sure. I would love your opinions/ideas of other areas? Before you ask - NO we have never been to the USA but are planning on coming over very soon . Thank You
Hello & to BE Mrszippy.I see you have found the USA forums. I can't help with your particular questions as we live in New Zealand, so I know nothing about the USA re:business. All I can encourage you to do is lots & lots of research & then do some more.

Don't treat your visit to the US as a holiday as then you won't get a realistic picture of living there. We went for a holiday in the US a long time ago now. Talk about culture shock. It's very different to life in the UK.

Good luck with all your plans
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:52 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from a Newbie :)

Hi Mrs zippy

Welcome to BE.
I see you have already found our USA forum, so hopefully you are getting lots of advce and tips from other expats already in the USA.

That just leaves me to say all the very best with your plans

Dread - x
Old Dec 29th 2011, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from a Newbie :) Looking to relocate to the USA

Hi and welcome to BE

Good luck, especially if you've not visited, so not sure what attracts you to the area. As for the small business and doing the L1 transfer, there's been a few recent threads on this and it seems fairly doable getting the visa, the trick, much like on the E2, is the renewing of the visa
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:06 am
Just Joined

MeronZG is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Hi from a Newbie :) Looking to relocate to the USA

Hello all
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MeronZG View Post
Hello all
Hello Mrs. Zippy and welcome to BE! Best of luck with your plans; I'm so glad to hear that you'll be coming over to visit the US before proceeding too far. Please don't hesitate to ask if I can help you find your way around on the site.

Meron - welcome to you as well. Why don't you start a new thread introducing yourself?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:18 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

good luck with everything. I too came here without having been to the USA before with an L1 visa (well i was the L2) but ours was a inter company transfer as opposed to a new start up.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:10 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

KKuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrszippy View Post
Hi

I know this is an old post, but how did you get on??

KKuk
Old Jul 10th 2012, 4:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KKuk View Post
Hi

I know this is an old post, but how did you get on??

KKuk
If you click on the OP's username, you'll be able to look at her past posts - and see that her most recent ones have been in the Australia forums, so presumably the US plan didn't work out or they decided Oz would be a better option.

You can post any questions you've got in the US forums though, they're a very friendly bunch in there and will no doubt try and help.

Welcome to BE btw.

Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

KKuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chrismasoompa

Thanks...

Got you...

You are so right, friendly and great insight..

KKuk