Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

hi-new member looking to move to USA or other

hi-new member looking to move to USA or other

Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:21 am
Just Joined

littlenonni will become famous soon enoughlittlenonni will become famous soon enough
Default hi-new member looking to move to USA or other

hi all,my names ramira,im in scotland uk and im looking for tips,ideas/advice on wantint to immigrate preferably the USA,but if i ever get the chance im more than happy to immigrate to other countries too out of Europe.. please dont judge,im 34 with 2 young children,im recovering from a traumatic childhood that unfortunatly spread into my adult life but had therapy etc it was disabiling unfortunatly so out of all those years ive only had 2 short jobs

my dream/wish since i was 6 was to join the police and move to the usa,obviously that never happened but at 34,my dream is still there but im worried i wont be able to fulfill it due to my age and mental health problems due to past events etc.

id just love to know how on earth could i start a new life and do what i need to do in order to fulfill my dream,ill do anything but i dont know where to start or what direction to go in? am i too old now?id be devastated.ive no family and my 2 kids are all i have and i want to give them a better life than i had.
sorry for all the info but thought id maybe get more advice if i told you more about my situation?

i know how difficult it is to immigrate to the USA,i understand that,im also open to other countries too with mild winters or warm winters(to us british!)

id really appreciate any advice whatsoever,thank you so much for reading this far!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:32 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hi-new member looking to move to USA or other

Originally Posted by littlenonni
hi all,my names ramira,im in scotland uk and im looking for tips,ideas/advice on wantint to immigrate preferably the USA,but if i ever get the chance im more than happy to immigrate to other countries too out of Europe.. please dont judge,im 34 with 2 young children,im recovering from a traumatic childhood that unfortunatly spread into my adult life but had therapy etc it was disabiling unfortunatly so out of all those years ive only had 2 short jobs
my dream/wish since i was 6 was to join the police and move to the usa,obviously that never happened but at 34,my dream is still there but im worried i wont be able to fulfill it due to my age and mental health problems due to past events etc.
id just love to know how on earth could i start a new life and do what i need to do in order to fulfill my dream,ill do anything but i dont know where to start or what direction to go in? am i too old now?id be devastated.ive no family and my 2 kids are all i have and i want to give them a better life than i had.
sorry for all the info but thought id maybe get more advice if i told you more about my situation?
i know how difficult it is to immigrate to the USA,i understand that,im also open to other countries too with mild winters or warm winters(to us british!)
id really appreciate any advice whatsoever,thank you so much for reading this far!
Hello littlenonni,

Sometimes we're dealt a rough hand in life, we can only play it the best we can. Jerseygirl will be by soon enough with some helpful links and information.

Welcome to B.E.,
Regards,
Chris
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:52 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi littlenonni,

Welcome to BE.

With regard to moving to the USA have a read through this wiki page and see if any of it relates to you. Migration to America is not as easy as moving to Australia, (e.g. they don't have a points based system) and basically you only have a few options open to you
1. Family
2.Citizenship
3. Work Transfers
4. Have a degree and a job offer from an employer who can sponsor you for a visa (e.g. H1-B) etc

Obviously what I've written above is a very basic list but may give you an idea. The first thing to do is read through the wiki page I've given you above and then if you still have questions you will have a better idea of what quetions to ask and you can do so in our USA Immigration forum.

What other countries are you considering?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

littlenonni will become famous soon enoughlittlenonni will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi littlenonni,

Welcome to BE.

With regard to moving to the USA have a read through this wiki page and see if any of it relates to you. Migration to America is not as easy as moving to Australia, (e.g. they don't have a points based system) and basically you only have a few options open to you
1. Family
2.Citizenship
3. Work Transfers
4. Have a degree and a job offer from an employer who can sponsor you for a visa (e.g. H1-B) etc

Obviously what I've written above is a very basic list but may give you an idea. The first thing to do is read through the wiki page I've given you above and then if you still have questions you will have a better idea of what quetions to ask and you can do so in our USA Immigration forum.

hello! thank you so much for that info,i shall defo look into it.
as for other countries,id live in asia,south africa,being honest im very open to most countries(tropical also although i think id need a winning lottery ticket for that) ive travelled to a few places i fell in love with,im sure there are countries we wouldnt be allowed to live in? i could care less for material things!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi littlenonni,

Welcome to BE.

1. Family
2.Citizenship
3. Work Transfers

hi sue, i did go through the wiki page and unfortunatly the answer was no on every single question.not looking good.
im more than willing however to study(wouldve loved to have studied in another country but never mind lol)ive just heard stories on people saying the stuff we study and get degrees or what not here and more or less useless in other countries,so its left me very confused:/
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Though why discount the rest of the EU? Plenty of countries with nice climates and where the language barrier really isn't a problem with the added benefit of not needing a visa
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:03 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ramira

I admire your bravery in being so open about your past and congratulations on facing up and dealing with it. It takes a great deal of faith to be so open and honest. If you can be as brave in that way you can achieve anything you desire. You have already survived and dealt with the most difficult things anyone can do so now continue to have courage to follow your dreams.

My advice to you would be to go to the main forum index page and have a look at the list of countries where we have forums. Then see which ones jump off the page at you and have a read through as it will give you a flavour from those who have emigrated there already. It may just help you find a place which appeals, and also let you know which ones you have a better chance of getting into.

Welcome to BE and enjoy the discovery. But most of all, remember where you once were, where you are now, and where you can be if you find more of the courage and follow your dream...

Dread - x
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Thank you so much I greatly appreciate it im going to do exactly that,looking at everything on here and see which really stands out,and i dont really mean to discount EU,I guess its because i dont know much and keep thinking the EU weather is similar to the UK lol
if ive any questions etc i shall ask you lovely people,now im really looking forward to reading on this website and starting a life!!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:32 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, all the best in your planning. 34 is certainly not too old to be starting a new life. Hope you can find something. A lot of reading for you to do on here, but planning is part of the fun. Big wide world out there. Enjoy
Old Sep 11th 2011, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hey, all the best in your planning. 34 is certainly not too old to be starting a new life. Hope you can find something. A lot of reading for you to do on here, but planning is part of the fun. Big wide world out there. Enjoy
Again,thank you so much for being so helpful! I did have some read yesterday but on the wiki discussions i noticed most of the threads i was interested in were closed.ill move to something else today have a great sunday folks! x
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:05 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Try taking a look through some of the forums on here and maybe post some questions? Good idea of Bob's to take a look at Europe i reckon. So many places difficult to get into these days. It'll be a lot of research and a bit of a slog but we've all gone through it at one time or another. Happy Planning