Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi! Moving to Montreal from Uk

Hi! Moving to Montreal from Uk

Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Snaity has a spectacular aura aboutSnaity has a spectacular aura aboutSnaity has a spectacular aura about
Default Hi! Moving to Montreal from Uk

Hello there,
Just wanted to do a very quick introduction as I feel I may be sticking to these boards like glue for a while! We are upping sticks and moving to Montreal from the UK in around 3 weeks for my husband, then myself and the kids are following him about a month after that depending on how quickly we can sort the house!
I think I've got all the basic stuff sorted, I have all the info I need for legal things, my main concern is that we get out there, husband goes to work, elder kids go to school and it's me and the toddler at home all day while I go ever so slightly stir crazy not knowing my way around or anybody to pop in and say hi to! Hence the sticking here like glue. I suspect for the next few weeks you won't see much of me while I pack then once I land I shall be here at all times while I try and adjust.
Anyway, I hope I have done this right and haven't offended anybody by blundering in with a massive lack of forum ettiquette, Ihave to nip off now as I have a very last photoshoot to do before things turn manic! See you around x
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:03 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi! Moving to Montreal from Uk

Originally Posted by Snaity
Hello there,
Just wanted to do a very quick introduction as I feel I may be sticking to these boards like glue for a while! We are upping sticks and moving to Montreal from the UK in around 3 weeks for my husband, then myself and the kids are following him about a month after that depending on how quickly we can sort the house!
I think I've got all the basic stuff sorted, I have all the info I need for legal things, my main concern is that we get out there, husband goes to work, elder kids go to school and it's me and the toddler at home all day while I go ever so slightly stir crazy not knowing my way around or anybody to pop in and say hi to! Hence the sticking here like glue. I suspect for the next few weeks you won't see much of me while I pack then once I land I shall be here at all times while I try and adjust.
Anyway, I hope I have done this right and haven't offended anybody by blundering in with a massive lack of forum ettiquette, Ihave to nip off now as I have a very last photoshoot to do before things turn manic! See you around x
Hi Snaity and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Canada can be found here.

Thanks for popping into the Weclome Inn first.

Enjoy B.E.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:20 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,
Hi Snaity, and welcome to B.E.

I knew my way about Montréal (Outremont), years ago, and made all the mistakes any Briton could, so should be glad to help if I could do.

(A dépanneur —often just 'dep'— is a corner shop / off-license in Québec ... I think you'll want to find where your local one is having just arrived especially with a baby. And St-Hubert (always pronounce it French) will even deliver their well known take-away chicken. That's already got you sorted for a decent meal, tea and loo rolls if your caught out ... even plonk ).

With every good wish,
Christian

Last edited by Christian; Aug 22nd 2011 at 1:17 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,
Hello and welcome to BE.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Is this a permanent move? Montreal is a beautiful city...we spent a couple of weeks there last summer.

If you click on this link it will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to any questions you may have about Montreal or life in Canada.

Don't worry about forum etiquette...you'll soon get the hang of things. It would be a help if you take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

There is usually a mod or admin around 24/7...so if you require help with anything please shout out. Good luck with the move to the Great White North.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Snaity has a spectacular aura aboutSnaity has a spectacular aura aboutSnaity has a spectacular aura about

Thank you so much for all the useful links, I will be sure to check them all out, I don't think you can ever have too much info.
Christian, you are speaking my language! Chicken and wine, I am sorted
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 6:30 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for all the useful links, I will be sure to check them all out, I don't think you can ever have too much info.
Christian, you are speaking my language! Chicken and wine, I am sorted
Crash course in Res Canadiana:—

English-Canada in a nut-shell. (Why it's done to Hope and Glory is beyond me! )

vs French-Canada by comparison. (And the profanity he uses is real French-Canadian profanity ...
... you'll pick it up in no time if just to describe the weather )

The joie de vivre of Québec! I wish you every happiness!