Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi! from the "Frozen North"

Hi! from the "Frozen North"

Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:09 pm
Banned

Wanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to all
Default Hi! from the "Frozen North"

This looks like a fun site - so I thought I would grace you all with my presence!!

My home in the "Frozen North" is actually Sweden - and its not frozen at the moment, in fact we've been getting temperatures of around 30 degrees C. The winter though is a different matter altogether....

Originally from England, I moved here a few years ago, to be with my Swedish partner, buying and renovating an old house which has cost us most of our money. Now I want to buy a small property in the UK, and spend some more time there (especially in the winter )

I've found my four years here in Sweden tough, but I look at myself in the mirror and realise I'm looking at the person most responsible for any misfortunes!

Having said that, I would challenge anyone who claims they pre-planned, and prepared for everything before going to live abroad.

Look forward to joining in some of the future discussions on the site

Take care!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:14 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi! from the "Frozen North"

Originally Posted by Wanderer5
This looks like a fun site - so I thought I would grace you all with my presence!!

My home in the "Frozen North" is actually Sweden - and its not frozen at the moment, in fact we've been getting temperatures of around 30 degrees C. The winter though is a different matter altogether....

Originally from England, I moved here a few years ago, to be with my Swedish partner, buying and renovating an old house which has cost us most of our money. Now I want to buy a small property in the UK, and spend some more time there (especially in the winter )

I've found my four years here in Sweden tough, but I look at myself in the mirror and realise I'm looking at the person most responsible for any misfortunes!

Having said that, I would challenge anyone who claims they pre-planned, and prepared for everything before going to live abroad.

Take care!
Hi wanderer5 and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including moving back to the UK can be found here.

This is primarily a site for people leaving (or left) the UK but we do have a very informative moving back to the UK forum here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:40 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wanderer

Welcome to BE.
Sounds like Sweden has been bittersweet for you?

If you haven't already you may enjoy checking out our 'Moving back to the UK' forum and chat to others who are returning and buying property etc.
You may also enjoy our general Europe forum.
You can fin both by clicking the forum index button on the pink bar at the top of the page, then scroll down the list of countires and oduble click on the forum title you want.

Have fun

Dread - x
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Take care!

Hi...welcome to BE.

From the title of the thread I was expecting someone living in the 'other' frozen north...Canada.

I don't think you can plan and prepare for everything before you become an expat. Even if you have visited the area many times...it is totally different when you are actually living there.

It does help to have a little safe haven in the UK to return to and the UK winters are very mild compared to Sweden...so that sounds like a good plan you have there.

Unfortunately we do not have a dedicated forum for Sweden...I think the General Europe forum is about the nearest we have. If you look down this list you will see all the BE forums...please feel free to join in any of the forums.

We have a team of concierges who will help you find your way around the forums if you get a little lost. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

Complaints or problems should be addressed to a moderator...Mitzyboy is the mod for the Europe forums but if he's not around any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help."
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:18 pm
Banned

Wanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to all

Hi Again Folks!

..& thanks for the replies. It does make you feel better that you are not talking to yourself on these sites

Will certainly check out discussions about Sweden.

I dunno .... I think uprooting yourself to go and live in another country is always more problematic, if you are not in your twenties (I am 56). I mean - you can speak another language, but how far do you really engage in it? Culture is more than just the arts - its the TV soaps, the latest political scandal and (God forbid) the royal weddings!

Having moved to Sweden 4 years ago, and burnt all my UK bridges, this (I now feel) was a big mistake. No matter how much you love (or even loathe) your adopted country, I reckon most of us miss a link with dear old blighty

Take care!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Again Folks!

..& thanks for the replies. It does make you feel better that you are not talking to yourself on these sites

Will certainly check out discussions about Sweden.

I dunno .... I think uprooting yourself to go and live in another country is always more problematic, if you are not in your twenties (I am 56). I mean - you can speak another language, but how far do you really engage in it? Culture is more than just the arts - its the TV soaps, the latest political scandal and (God forbid) the royal weddings!

Having moved to Sweden 4 years ago, and burnt all my UK bridges, this (I now feel) was a big mistake. No matter how much you love (or even loathe) your adopted country, I reckon most of us miss a link with dear old blighty

Take care!
I agree with all that.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Guinea Pig is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree with all that.
Hi Wanderers
You're getting better weather in Sweden than we are in Ireland!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Guinea Pig
Hi Wanderers
You're getting better weather in Sweden than we are in Ireland!
Well - you have to be grateful for that

Its an old British habit to complain about the weather (not that I am really) but consider this: plus 32 degrees C now, but in a few months time, it could be minus 32 degrees C.

Brrrr!!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Its an old British habit to complain about the weather (not that I am really) but consider this: plus 32 degrees C now, but in a few months time, it could be minus 32 degrees C.

Brrrr!!
Same with the weather in New Jersey...super hot and humid in summer...then sub zero temps and snow in winter.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:38 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Brrrr!!
That sounds the same as our weather here in Minnesota!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wanderer5!

You live in the land my ancestors left centuries ago. We were last in Sweden in late November of last year to visit the Wasa and pop by the Christmas markets. It was cold even then but I got a kick out of the fact that Arlanda looks like it was designed by Ikea.

Welcome to BE. You'll find many kind souls here. I look forward to getting to know you.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:08 pm
Banned

Hi ljaw2002uk & Kaffy Mintcake

Seeing 'Minnesota' mentioned, and 'links to Sweden', made me recall Vilhelm Moberg's great books in The Emigrants series, the story of how Karl Oskar and his family fared in their journey from Sweden to the US in the 19th century.

Thanks for the replies