British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hi Everyone, I'm 22 looking for advice. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hi-everyone-im-22-looking-advice-895453/)

Will.Y2112 Apr 16th 2017 10:47 am

Hi Everyone, I'm 22 looking for advice.

Hi guys,

Just want to say hi,

I am new to this forum, but have always wanted to move away from the Uk and now as I work offshore working 2 months on/ 2 months off I can start properly looking in things.

As i work onboard ships, I won't work in any country I live in (don't know if that helps or not)

The problem is, is that the world is fairly large and I have no idea where i would want to live. hopefully i will get some good ideas from the site.

Thanks

Will

scrubbedexpat142 Apr 16th 2017 11:05 am

Re: Hi Everyone, I'm 22 looking for advice.

Hi Will! What's your motivation, are you just desperate to get out of the UK? Obviously I don't know enough about you to advise on location but I would suggest you consider very carefully the local culture of any area you are looking at, rather than the superficial things which can attract the unwary!

spouse of scouse Apr 16th 2017 11:07 am

Hi Will, thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to BE :wave:

Any country you choose to move to will have its own immigration rules and they vary greatly. Would probably be best for you to have a 'short list', have a look at that country's official immigration website to see if you'd be eligible for a visa, and then visit the BE forums of those countries to ask specific questions. We have separate forums for just about every country/region in the world, and they all have british expats living there who are a mine of information.

While you're looking around the forum, please take a minute to read the BE site rules, and if you run into any site related problems you can contact one of our friendly moderators - their details are in the lower right hand corner of each forum's index page.

You have a lot of research and reading to do, but even just doing that is quite exciting! Hope you enjoy your time here.

dmu Apr 19th 2017 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Will.Y2112 (Post 12230130)
Hi guys,

Just want to say hi,

I am new to this forum, but have always wanted to move away from the Uk and now as I work offshore working 2 months on/ 2 months off I can start properly looking in things.

As i work onboard ships, I won't work in any country I live in (don't know if that helps or not)

The problem is, is that the world is fairly large and I have no idea where i would want to live. hopefully i will get some good ideas from the site.

Thanks

Will

Hi, have you considered moving to another part of the UK? No language problems, you'd have Social Security, etc....
In addition to immigration rules and culture, you should also consider the questions of language, taxation (you'll be tax-resident somewhere), healthcare coverage in the country where you'd be spending your two-months off, management of your property (or rental) in your absence....
From the viewpoint of immigration rules, the EU would be your best bet (at the moment, at least), but you'd have to think carefully about the other aspects above - they aren't negligible...
Good luck with your quest (and decision!).:)

Rosemary Apr 21st 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Will.Y2112 (Post 12230130)
Hi guys,

Just want to say hi,

Thanks

Will

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary