Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi to everyone

Hi to everyone

Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Yilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud of
Default Hi to everyone

Hi folks and thanks for having me here. I've been lurking for the past 2 years or so, and have finally plucked up the courage to post. I hope that I don't make a fool of myself ! I live in South Wales UK. Left home at 16 due to a violent upbringing and lived in Jersey ( Channel Islands ). Joined the British military and travelled extensively spending long periods in Canada etc. Left the military and lived in Flint Michigan. Was happy there and had to move home as my younger brother was very ill and hadn't seen him for a few years. 6 months had passed and he died. I'm glad I came back to see him, and joined the Police in the meantime. Met my wife and have a daughter who is 15. My brother has emigrated to Australia and is residing in Queensland, and parents are back in Cyprus where they were born. Not bothered about them tho, it's a long story. We have a great lifestyle here in Wales but I can't shift the thoughts of wanting to Emigrate. I hate the Uk on times and just want out of this place. My wife is close to her family and won't under any circumstances leave or give it a try. I yearn to live elsewhere, somewhere where I can live outdoors a lot ( Oz or NZ ), but know that it would never happen, as I would under no circumstances leave my family as they are the most important thing in my life. I get upset when people I know emigrate, ( some have returned ), as I wish it was us having a try. I'm very sorry for the long thread. I was just wondering, are there others out there that are in my situation ? I also feel so guilty being ungrateful for what I have got. I just don't, and have never felt any connection to the UK, and feel that my life belongs somewhere else. Just have to visit for long holidays in the future I suppose. Thanks again for having me here. It's a great forum.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi to everyone

Hi there...welcome to BE.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. I'm glad you've joined our community. You certainly seem to have moved around quite a bit...no wonder you have itchy feel. Yes there are plenty of people on here who would like to move but their other half doesn't. Mostly they are people who are living overseas and one would like to return home and the other doesn't.

As you're a long time lurker you probably know your way around the forums. Therefore I suggest you jump in and start posting in whatever forum takes your fancy.

If you need any help please give me or any mod/admin/concierge a shout...we'll be pleased to help you.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:20 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yilt
Hi folks and thanks for having me here. I've been lurking for the past 2 years or so, and have finally plucked up the courage to post. I hope that I don't make a fool of myself ! I live in South Wales UK. Left home at 16 due to a violent upbringing and lived in Jersey ( Channel Islands ). Joined the British military and travelled extensively spending long periods in Canada etc. Left the military and lived in Flint Michigan. Was happy there and had to move home as my younger brother was very ill and hadn't seen him for a few years. 6 months had passed and he died. I'm glad I came back to see him, and joined the Police in the meantime. Met my wife and have a daughter who is 15. My brother has emigrated to Australia and is residing in Queensland, and parents are back in Cyprus where they were born. Not bothered about them tho, it's a long story. We have a great lifestyle here in Wales but I can't shift the thoughts of wanting to Emigrate. I hate the Uk on times and just want out of this place. My wife is close to her family and won't under any circumstances leave or give it a try. I yearn to live elsewhere, somewhere where I can live outdoors a lot ( Oz or NZ ), but know that it would never happen, as I would under no circumstances leave my family as they are the most important thing in my life. I get upset when people I know emigrate, ( some have returned ), as I wish it was us having a try. I'm very sorry for the long thread. I was just wondering, are there others out there that are in my situation ? I also feel so guilty being ungrateful for what I have got. I just don't, and have never felt any connection to the UK, and feel that my life belongs somewhere else. Just have to visit for long holidays in the future I suppose. Thanks again for having me here. It's a great forum.
Welcome to the forum Yilt.....pop in on the NZ forum for a 'chat' with our lovely members....lots of us felt similar to you and emigrated, some of us came home and some are still in NZ but we're all happy to share our experiences with our BE friends......look forward to seeing you there!
B
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yilt,

Welcome to BE. We have many couples like yourself where one wants to move and the other doesn't as we do have couples that have moved abroad and one half of the couple has not settled and wants to go back to the UK and the other one wants to stay in their new country. So this topic does come up often here.

Anyway thanks for coming out of "lurk mode" we are very happy you have decided to participate on the forum.

Sue
Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud ofYilt has much to be proud of

Been reading your replies. Just as I expected, very welcoming and friendly. I very much appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time. I'm glad i'm here now and out of the lurker mode. Take care everybody.