Hi

Old Mar 8th 2019, 7:18 am
Just Joined

mark_kirkby is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Hi

Hi everyone, what a useful place this is.....

It's been a plan for a few years now that we'd semi retire once our youngest has completed her education and we'd move to France and run a B&B / Gite...... Although it's still in our thoughts obviously it's on a back burner simmering away because of the dreaded 'B' word

Anyways, thought I'd drop in say hi and start looking through all the relevent posts. Catch up soon, looks like i have lots of reading up to do.

Mark
Old Mar 8th 2019, 7:51 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi

Originally Posted by mark_kirkby
Hi everyone, what a useful place this is.....

It's been a plan for a few years now that we'd semi retire once our youngest has completed her education and we'd move to France and run a B&B / Gite...... Although it's still in our thoughts obviously it's on a back burner simmering away because of the dreaded 'B' word

Anyways, thought I'd drop in say hi and start looking through all the relevent posts. Catch up soon, looks like i have lots of reading up to do.

Mark
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the France section of the forum and "locals" will give advice. A lot of French quirks depend on your matrimonial/family status and other factors, and you should give a bit more info on yourselves to help us advise you. Take a look in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs at the top of the France forum, especially the "Inheritance" thread as you'll be buying property. Things get very complicated if there are children from other marriages. If you aren't in receipt of a UK State Pension when you arrive, you'll be classified as "inactifs" until you're business is up and running, and will have to take out private healthcare coverage from Day 1 until you're eligible to join the French Social Security System.
Other questions which immediately spring to mind - What area were you thinking of settling in? Have you researched the feasability of running a Gîte/B&B? Do you speak French? Will your daughter be accompanying you after she's finished her education? Will you be wanting to travel back to the UK often, to visit grandchildren?
Be aware that advice can't be given for Post-Brexit conditions until something is officially announced. Look forward to seeing you again in the France forum!
Old Mar 8th 2019, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi

"French quirks" ? Note the mindset that the British way is normal and Johnnie Foreigner is weird !