Hi!

Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Angelgreen123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi!

Good evening everybody, a little about me. I am 29 and a teacher of mathematics in the uk. My husband works in supply chair also in uk we have 3 lovely children age 2months , 2 and 5.

We have spoke for years about emigrating to us and it's getting to that point where it's now or never. My highest qualification is an Ma in education so hopeful I would be able to get a teaching post.

However, as my husband has no formal qualifications post gcse not sure he would find work or where we would even begin to look. This is what has been holding us back.

Hopefully will be able to get some advice on how/where to search for work.

:-))
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:38 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi!

welcome to BE

so it looks like you would be the main applicant and your husband and children would come off the back of you getting approved.

Visa's and available positions to allow you gain a visa vary from country to country so where are you looking on heading to?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelgreen123
Good evening everybody, a little about me. I am 29 and a teacher of mathematics in the uk. My husband works in supply chair also in uk we have 3 lovely children age 2months , 2 and 5.

We have spoke for years about emigrating to us and it's getting to that point where it's now or never. My highest qualification is an Ma in education so hopeful I would be able to get a teaching post.

However, as my husband has no formal qualifications post gcse not sure he would find work or where we would even begin to look. This is what has been holding us back.

Hopefully will be able to get some advice on how/where to search for work.

:-))
Welcome to BE.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but from what you have said your chances of getting a US visa is very slim. There are thousands of teachers who are out of work here due to teacher lay offs. Maybe if you contacted a few private school they may have the funding necessary to finance your visa application. You would also need to be licensed in whatever state you work in before you could teach.

I suggest you pop over to the US forums...there have been several threads in the last few months by UK teachers wishing to teach in the US. Please give me a shout should you run into any site related problems.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:35 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

just reread and see you said "us" sorry didn't read it as US.

As Jerseygirl says might be a very steep uphill struggle but check out the USA forum, link provided in Jerseygirls post.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Angelgreen123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. Is there an excess of secondary mathematics teachers?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angelgreen123
Thanks for your replies. Is there an excess of secondary mathematics teachers?
The US is a big country...so it is hard to say. The main problem is finding an education authority who is willing to fund a visa. There have been huge cutbacks in spending in education over the last few years...thus many teacher layoffs.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:11 am

Flopsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know much about teaching in the US but I recently read a great article about someone who immigrated to Australia, apparently they are crying out for teachers? I don't know if you have your heart set on US or just on immigrating to warmer climates but if US doesn't work out Australia might be your answer. And you could spend christmas on the beach and pretend that's completely normal
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary