Reload this Page >

Hello from Wisconsin

Hello from Wisconsin

Old Jul 9th 2015, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

fiona1775 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from Wisconsin

Hello!

I was born in Aylesbury and moved to Chicago area with my family in 1982 as a child. I moved up to Wisconsin in 1997 with my parents. I met my husband and got married coming 8 years ago in October. I've always considered England my home so I've decided to start researching moving back to the UK with my husband. It is a daunting search, and I'm glad I found this site. I have a lot of questions and am sure I'll get the answers I need here.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 12:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Originally Posted by fiona1775
Hello!

I was born in Aylesbury and moved to Chicago area with my family in 1982 as a child. I moved up to Wisconsin in 1997 with my parents. I met my husband and got married coming 8 years ago in October. I've always considered England my home so I've decided to start researching moving back to the UK with my husband. It is a daunting search, and I'm glad I found this site. I have a lot of questions and am sure I'll get the answers I need here.
Welcome to BE.

We have several excellent forums covering the UK. If you click on the link below it will take you directly to them.

Moving back to the UK - British Expats

Please let me know if you run into any site related problems. In the meantime good luck with your research.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 12:27 am
Just Joined

fiona1775 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

HandyNickerholes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fiona:
Our family had lived here for 7 years then returned to the UK. After 18 months everyone came back! The UK isn't what it was back when you moved. If I may, you have likely built up a somewhat romantic notion of life there. I know we did after a few holidays there (like US tourists). As much as I love the UK, didn't move here until I was 40, it's not a place to live, if you like the freedoms of the USA...
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HandyNickerholes
Hi Fiona:
Our family had lived here for 7 years then returned to the UK. After 18 months everyone came back! The UK isn't what it was back when you moved. If I may, you have likely built up a somewhat romantic notion of life there. I know we did after a few holidays there (like US tourists). As much as I love the UK, didn't move here until I was 40, it's not a place to live, if you like the freedoms of the USA...
'Freedoms of the USA' don't make me laugh.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

HandyNickerholes is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
'Freedoms of the USA' don't make me laugh.
Well, put it this way. I couldn't leave my car or house unlocked in Longlevens Glos, but I can 40 miles outside of Detroit. Plus there aren't cctv cameras everywhere because of the crime rate! Now that's what I call "freedoms"...
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HandyNickerholes
Well, put it this way. I couldn't leave my car or house unlocked in Longlevens Glos, but I can 40 miles outside of Detroit. Plus there aren't cctv cameras everywhere because of the crime rate! Now that's what I call "freedoms"...
I live in Berkshire and often leave my doors unlocked, my car unlocked, and our ride on tractor mower in the front garden with the keys in it. There's next to no crime where I am, perhaps if you're in a city centre it's different but certainly not in a rural village with a close knit community.

Good luck OP, I went to secondary school in Aylesbury. I wish you luck with the move.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 14th 2015 at 8:21 pm.