British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hello from Wiltshire (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hello-wiltshire-924401/)

Wiltshire teacher Apr 23rd 2019 4:21 pm

Hello from Wiltshire

Hi all,
I am new to this group. I am currently a Science teacher based in the UK. My wife and I are just so starting to explore the idea of emigrating to the US, possibly Tennessee in particular with at least one of our three children. Any advice greatly appreciated particularly from other teachers who have made the move.
Thank you,
Scott and Jane.

christmasoompa Apr 23rd 2019 4:25 pm

Re: Hello from Wiltshire

Originally Posted by Wiltshire teacher (Post 12674793)
Hi all,
I am new to this group. I am currently a Science teacher based in the UK. My wife and I are just so starting to explore the idea of emigrating to the US, possibly Tennessee in particular with at least one of our three children. Any advice greatly appreciated particularly from other teachers who have made the move.
Thank you,
Scott and Jane.

Hi, and welcome to BE. If you head on over to the US forums, you'll find loads of helpful folk there who will be happy to help you with any questions you have about the move.

Are you or your wife a US citizen? Hopefully so, as the US is notorious as one of the toughest countries to immigrate to. But there is loads of info on the forums about visas, whether marriage based or otherwise, so head over there and I'm sure you'll get good info.

Best of luck with it.

Wiltshire teacher Apr 23rd 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I will certainly be reaching out to the US forums.
Neither my wife or myself are US citizens but have been told that just like in the UK there is a teacher shortage in the US so fingers crossed.

christmasoompa Apr 23rd 2019 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Wiltshire teacher (Post 12674801)
Thanks for the advice.
Neither my wife or myself are US citizens but have been told that just like in the UK there is a teacher shortage in the US so fingers crossed.

Ah, ok. Does your wife have a job that may lead to a visa? From what I understand, you wouldn't usually get one as a teacher, but asking in the US forums will give you a more comprehensive answer.

Good luck.

Pulaski Apr 23rd 2019 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Wiltshire teacher (Post 12674801)
Thanks for the advice.

Hi WT, welcome to BE.

A shortage of teachers doesn't mean that the federal government has any interest in issuing visas for non-US teachers. …. I will look out for your post in the US forum, but be prepared as there is little to no precedent for teachers being able to get a visa, irrespective of any reported shortage of teachers.

Magmax Apr 23rd 2019 6:32 pm

Hello everyone. Wltshire Teacher welcome to BE forums.