Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello - where do I start? contemplating move to California to be with my boyfriend

Hello - where do I start? contemplating move to California to be with my boyfriend

Old Nov 3rd 2012, 1:58 am
Just Joined

KashaUK2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello - where do I start? contemplating move to California to be with my boyfriend

Hey guys and gals,

I'm Jay, currently living in Newcastle UK and contemplating a move to California USA to be with my boyfriend - luckily his ex wife is Russian so he has an idea on what to do in terms of the legal side of immigration.

As I understand it the best way for me to immigrate to the US would be to marry my boyfriend, which brings about a whole other level of complexity in terms of planning a wedding across two countries, and his proposing without it feeling like it's only about immigration. That's another issue.

Anyway, I'm here trying to figure out where to start...

What's concerning me right now is the practicality of sorting things out this side (e.g. what to do about outstanding debts in the UK, how to move my belongings and cats to the US, what to do with my furniture, etc.) and sorting things out that side (e.g. getting myself a bank account, how to find work, get a driving licence, etc.). It's like the stress of moving times a billion.

All sources of information I've found so far are about the legal side of immigration, but right now I need something that deals with the various aspects of preparation - anyone know of any resources that might help? A nice check-list of what to get sorted out would be awesome.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 3:05 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - where do I start?

Originally Posted by KashaUK2000
Hey guys and gals,

I'm Jay, currently living in Newcastle UK and contemplating a move to California USA to be with my boyfriend - luckily his ex wife is Russian so he has an idea on what to do in terms of the legal side of immigration.

As I understand it the best way for me to immigrate to the US would be to marry my boyfriend, which brings about a whole other level of complexity in terms of planning a wedding across two countries, and his proposing without it feeling like it's only about immigration. That's another issue.

Anyway, I'm here trying to figure out where to start...

What's concerning me right now is the practicality of sorting things out this side (e.g. what to do about outstanding debts in the UK, how to move my belongings and cats to the US, what to do with my furniture, etc.) and sorting things out that side (e.g. getting myself a bank account, how to find work, get a driving licence, etc.). It's like the stress of moving times a billion.

All sources of information I've found so far are about the legal side of immigration, but right now I need something that deals with the various aspects of preparation - anyone know of any resources that might help? A nice check-list of what to get sorted out would be awesome.
Hi there and welcome to B.E.

There is useful information in the articles page and the wiki which will need some navigating but all the links are there.

The main USA forum is here and there is a lot of reading in there too.

You can make use of the search facility and also post some questions in the USA forum.

Enjoy B.E.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 7:51 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - where do I start?

Hi Kasha and welcome to the forum. Sherlock has given you all the best links so I'd recommend having a really good read through everything.

I was under the impression that it's very difficult to get into the USA these days, though I am no expert being halfway around the world.

Just on a practical level, I would have thought that clearing all debts in the UK would be first priority. Moving across the world is an expensive business, so is getting married (or it can be if you want the full works), so I'm sure you don't want to build up a mountain of debt.

Hope it all works out for you. Happy planning
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - where do I start? contemplating move to California to be with my boyfrien

Welcome to BE and good luck!

But yeah, the wiki, it has a lot of info on things to consider, things to plan for and there are past threads that cover most of your questions and if you search them out, you might even find specific answers that cover the area you're interested in moving to
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - where do I start? contemplating move to California to be with my boyfrien

Hi Jay,

I know you've already posted for advice in the appropriate marriage-based forum. Just wanted to say, after reading this thread, you really can't do much about the things you mentioned, until you have already immigrated to the USA. You can open a bank account in the USA before immigrating, but I think you physically need to be in the USA to do so...so maybe on one of your visits here, you can do that.

You can't get a driver license in the USA yet because you will need a SSN for that, which you can't get until you immigrate. How to find work...it's just like everywhere else...apply for jobs, turn in your resume, look online, network.

As for how to move your belongings and your cats to the USA...again you can't do much until you have the visa in hand (shipping companies will need the visa number, I believe). When it gets closer to that time, you can get quotes from different shipping companies (and airlines for the kitties).

In the meantime, work on clearing up your existing debt in the UK...but remember you can still make payments on things in the UK even after you immigrate to the USA.

Rene
Old Nov 11th 2012, 5:32 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary