Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from Turkey

Hello from Turkey

Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Eric999 is just really niceEric999 is just really niceEric999 is just really niceEric999 is just really niceEric999 is just really niceEric999 is just really niceEric999 is just really niceEric999 is just really nice
Default Hello from Turkey

Hi,

We are Eric and Fiona and are currently living in Turkey. We retired here 3 years ago after holidaying here for several years. The gloss of living here has become a bit tarnished for several reasons, too many too discuss here, and we are looking at our options again. Our place is for sale here so any timescale on moving is dependent on the house selling.

France figures highly in our ‘review’ with the area around Carcassonne being an area we quite fancy after reading a lot about this area.

A few questions that we hope you guys can answer:

1. How far is it from the coast/nearest decent beach, time wise? What are the beaches like there?
2. How far is it from the nearest ski resorts and what are they like?
3. Is the weather warm enough in the summer to warrant a pool?
4. Is the local community welcoming of UK ex-pats?
5. Is it possible to live reasonably well on 2,500Eu pcm? (I know, how long is a piece of string )
6. Anything else you may want to advise us on greatly appreciated.

We look forward to your replies.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:09 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Turkey

Hi Eric,

I am in the USA so can't help with your questions I'm afraid. But I see you've have been given a warm welcome in the France forum.

So welcome from me and if i can help you with any site questions, please give me a shout.

Sue
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:44 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we had a holiday home in Turkey (Hisaronu) which we put up for sale after we moved to the US. It took forever to sell as the main buyers for those type of homes were brits and the recession had started in earnest and holiday homes were not on many peoples priority list. I also think bad advice from the estate agent didnt help encouraging us to put it up for a far too high a price.

We did eventually sell it after 14 months but for a very much cut down price and we suspect to a 'friend' of the agent looking to make a nice profit. netherthe ess we were glad to see it go as it made life a whole lot easier for us.

Hope you have a far far more easier time selling than we did!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric999
Hi,

We are Eric and Fiona and are currently living in Turkey. We retired here 3 years ago after holidaying here for several years. The gloss of living here has become a bit tarnished for several reasons, too many too discuss here, and we are looking at our options again. Our place is for sale here so any timescale on moving is dependent on the house selling.

France figures highly in our ‘review’ with the area around Carcassonne being an area we quite fancy after reading a lot about this area.

A few questions that we hope you guys can answer:

1. How far is it from the coast/nearest decent beach, time wise? What are the beaches like there?
2. How far is it from the nearest ski resorts and what are they like?
3. Is the weather warm enough in the summer to warrant a pool?
4. Is the local community welcoming of UK ex-pats?
5. Is it possible to live reasonably well on 2,500Eu pcm? (I know, how long is a piece of string )
6. Anything else you may want to advise us on greatly appreciated.

We look forward to your replies.
I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions because I am also in the US...but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to BE.