British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hello from Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hello-sydney-839152/)

SydneyCider Jul 21st 2014 10:06 am

Hello from Sydney

Hello, I just joined because I have a bee in my bonnet about moving back to the uk and am spending every spare minute looking at uk real estate sites to fantasise about where I'm going to move my family to.

I grew up in portsmouth, hants and came to Australia as a backpacker 21 years ago and have lived in Sydney ever since. I never thought I'd think about moving to the uk, but as seems to be a familiar story on here - I've had a child, have another on the way and am starting to long for the country I grew up in. I'm married to a Kiwi and we have a wonderful life here in Sydney, we have our own business, are on the property ladder in a home 5 Kms from the cbd, we walk to work, shops and restaurants and life feels good, but just lately I have been dreaming about the English country side and my girls spending time with their grandparents etc. having Europe on my doorstep and enjoying cold Christmases and long summer evenings.

We still owe the bank for half of our property, but when I look at what we could buy for the equivalent of our million dollar slum in Newtown, it is making me want to pay this property off ASAP and head back to the uk. Add to that the depressing Abott govt. and cost of living in a Sydney and Australia is starting not to feel like the lucky country it was when I arrived here two decades ago.

Anyone else feeling the same or have taken the plunge and have any advice?
Thank you

mikelincs Jul 21st 2014 10:10 am

Re: Hello from Sydney

Originally Posted by SydneyCider (Post 11342977)
Hello, I just joined because I have a bee in my bonnet about moving back to the uk and am spending every spare minute looking at uk real estate sites to fantasise about where I'm going to move my family to.

I grew up in portsmouth, hants and came to Australia as a backpacker 21 years ago and have lived in Sydney ever since. I never thought I'd think about moving to the uk, but as seems to be a familiar story on here - I've had a child, have another on the way and am starting to long for the country I grew up in. I'm married to a Kiwi and we have a wonderful life here in Sydney, we have our own business, are on the property ladder in a home 5 Kms from the cbd, we walk to work, shops and restaurants and life feels good, but just lately I have been dreaming about the English country side and my girls spending time with their grandparents etc. having Europe on my doorstep and enjoying cold Christmases and long summer evenings.

We still owe the bank for half of our property, but when I look at what we could buy for the equivalent of our million dollar slum in Newtown, it is making me want to pay this property off ASAP and head back to the uk. Add to that the depressing Abott govt. and cost of living in a Sydney and Australia is starting not to feel like the lucky country it was when I arrived here two decades ago.

Anyone else feeling the same or have taken the plunge and have any advice?
Thank you

:welcome:
If you haven't done so already, please read the info in this thread about the requirement to bring your wife to the UK, No problems for the children as they should already be British Citizens assuming you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

SydneyCider Jul 21st 2014 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply, Mike. Yeah I was reading about the new migration changes the other day regarding Spouse visas and I was taken by surprise a bit. If we are not cashed up if we decide to move back, I will have to go ahead of my hubby and kids and look for work before they can follow. Weve been running our own business for 10 years so I don't like my chances of finding work quickly!

bakedbean Jul 21st 2014 1:14 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

My cousin is in the same boat as you (with Australian spouse) and she is trying to find a job before they actually move back to UK. I think that's acceptable providing you start the job within a few weeks of landing :unsure: at least that's what she's been told.

Anyway, you've found the Moving Back to the UK section and that's the best place for any questions. All the best with your plans.

Rete Jul 21st 2014 2:27 pm

Hi Sydney and welcome to BE. You're not alone in your desire to "go home". You've already found the Moving Back to the UK forum so you are already on the right path to gathering all the information you need to make the move successfully.

Rete