Reload this Page >

Hello from Somerset

Hello from Somerset

Old Jun 2nd 2019, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Slowlycatchymonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from Somerset

Evening all šŸ‘‹

Iā€™m currently living in sunny Somerset, or perhaps that should be Sometimes Sunny Somerset with my husband, two boys and four dogs. My husband and I run a document storage business, not exciting but hey it pays the bills šŸ‘
It said in the ā€˜introduce yourselfā€™ info to say a bit about your hobbies which gave me pause for thought as Iā€™m someone who seeā€™s someone doing something and thinks ā€œooh Iā€™d like to have a go at thatā€ which has meant Iā€™ve had a lot of hobbies over the years! My main hobby/love is riding my motorbike in the sunshine which is a major motivator for moving as the two-three months of possible sun in the UK can be more than disappointing. Everytime Iā€™ve returned from Spain for the last 15+ years Iā€™ve thought ā€œI want to live hereā€ Iā€™ve just thoroughly enjoyed the generally pleasant attitude of the people.
Having said all that Iā€™m not ready to fully commit, I understand people get carried away and think it will be like being on holiday forever which obviously itā€™s not so Iā€™m thinking keep my place and home here and get a place over there to try it out for chunks of time until I know whatā€™s what.
Im very much hoping to move close to Sierra Nevada and take advantage of skiing in the winter. I canā€™t imagine anything better, biking and skiing on my doorstep. What a dream, itā€™s hard for me to believe this is going to happen but everyoneā€™s on board so in a tentative, frightened baby steps mode we move forward!
To anyone whoā€™s still reading (thankyou) please be patient with me, I will search the forum for answers before posting the same question youā€™ve all answered for the millionth time but I might miss something and I donā€™t know why but Iā€™m a bit nervous about posting here?!
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 10:34 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Somerset

Can't help you with Spain, but I spent the first 29 years of my life in 'Sunny' Taunton before moving to the US.

Welcome to BE!
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Good Day to you and Welcome to BE.

What a lovely intro piece. Enjoyed reading from beginning to end. Seems like you have a full life what with your hobbies, work and 18 legs to skirt around in the house and yard and still you have time to contemplate a move to Spain. I'm tired just thinking of your life.

They've given me this fancy title so that I can direct you to the forum best able to help you find the answers you are seeking and guess what, give you lots of new questions you not thought of yet. Our lovely expats in Spain are a helpful, friendly sort and will be happy to assist you.

Below are the links to our forum rules and the Spain forum. Thanks again for stopping in and best of everything in your quest.

http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Afternoon.

Thankyou for the welcome. Tis appreciated.
Rete Ive read the forum rules and found the Spain forum, had a read of some of the threads, thanks for the direction. It certainly can be busy, the sort of busy that would be remedied by a good dose of Spain and time wise itā€™s just about to become realistic
civilservant I spend a fair bit of time in Taunton, do you miss it? I think I will a bit!
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 1:12 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't miss the traffic, that's for sure

I do, however, miss the cricket!
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 1:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slowlycatchymonkey
ā€¦.. Everytime Iā€™ve returned from Spain for the last 15+ years Iā€™ve thought ā€œI want to live hereā€ Iā€™ve just thoroughly enjoyed the generally pleasant attitude of the people.
Having said all that Iā€™m not ready to fully commit, I understand people get carried away and think it will be like being on holiday forever which obviously itā€™s not so Iā€™m thinking keep my place and home here and get a place over there to try it out for chunks of time until I know whatā€™s what. ā€¦.
Hi SCM, welcome to BE.

Personally, I think you're thinking along the right lines, spending part(s) of the year in Spain, but keeping your home in the UK. There are two reasons why this is preferable if you can afford to do so - firstly you can sidestep most of the tax and health insurance issues that you have to deal with if you move to Spain, and secondly many people eventually, as they get more aged, and often as their health starts to fail, decide to return to the UK.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Avoiding tax and health insurance complications at the beginning is definitely part of the plan. Iā€™m not in a rush to make up my mind and would rather wait and see how things go.
I know many people who moved abroad over the years and the majority all come back for one reason or another.

I have in the back of my mind to buy a place that will cater for a possible future version of me thatā€™s frail, somewhere thatā€™s has facilities close by without a thousand steps or a hard climb. Although at 46 I prefer to push those possibilities to one side and enjoy being in the pink it comes to all of us if weā€™re lucky to live long enough so if anyone has any advice on buying a place that will suit in old age let me know. It would have the added advantage of my mother whoā€™s not in the finest fettle maybe being able to enjoy a bit of Spain too.