Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from a snowy Scotland

Hello from a snowy Scotland

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Mike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really nice
Default Hello from a snowy Scotland

Hi All,

I am looking for information on Canberra. I have a possibility of getting aposition there and would like to know about the city.

Is it easy to meet your neighbors? I'm an American and I just can't get used to the shyness in your average Northern European (lived in sweden befroe coming to Scotland), at home in California it was easy to get to know your nieghbors.

How is it for kids? We have a 10 yr old boy who is crazy about football (soccer), are there decent clubs in Canberra?

Also, how do the children handle forgeigners? My son is half Russian and though we have been living in Scotland for three years his English is still not perfect (also for some strange reason his 'T's have disappeared completely. In Sweden I only spoke Swedish to him and his mom only speaks to hi, in Russian.

My wife has a degree froma Swedish univeristy as a preschool teacher, will she be able to use this in Australia to find a posiiton in a preschool?

Thanks for you help.

Cheers,
Mike
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:55 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from a snowy Scotland

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the site. I see you have already made your way to the Aus forums.

I hope you enjoy using the site and please let me know if you have any questions about the forum's bits and bobs.

Sue
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

That's where all the snow is this year!

I'm not anywhere near Australia, but thought I'd extend a warm welcome to BE.

Oggy
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Mike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really niceMike46 is just really nice

Come and get it, it's currently -1 and there is snow everywhere.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike46
Hi All,

I am looking for information on Canberra. I have a possibility of getting aposition there and would like to know about the city.

Is it easy to meet your neighbors? I'm an American and I just can't get used to the shyness in your average Northern European (lived in sweden befroe coming to Scotland), at home in California it was easy to get to know your nieghbors.

How is it for kids? We have a 10 yr old boy who is crazy about football (soccer), are there decent clubs in Canberra?

Also, how do the children handle forgeigners? My son is half Russian and though we have been living in Scotland for three years his English is still not perfect (also for some strange reason his 'T's have disappeared completely. In Sweden I only spoke Swedish to him and his mom only speaks to hi, in Russian.

My wife has a degree froma Swedish univeristy as a preschool teacher, will she be able to use this in Australia to find a posiiton in a preschool?

Thanks for you help.

Cheers,
Mike

Hello from snowy New Jersey Mike. I'd just like to welcome you to BE.

Like Sue said just shout out if you need assistance with anything.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hee hee That's okay, Mike... It's a nice change of pace to not having any in February (although the Olympics probably could have used some of it!)