Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from Scotland!

Hello from Scotland!

Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Frugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hello from Scotland!

Hi all, just realised I should introduce myself- I'm 41, married with two teenagers, chickens, cats and dogs!
My husband and I are planning to move to Spain once the kids are settled either in uni or work- when the time is right- that's a minimum of five years away. We will only be able to move if money allows- and that depends on inheritance- I won't go into details on that one but there may be a lot of options - money opens up avenues.
One of the ideas we had was to rent out a villa in one of the popular Southern resorts- somewhere that ticks all the boxes based on our holidays in Spain.
However, we are country bumpkins and ideally would like a finca- I dream of orange groves, chickens, pygmy goats and self sufficiency (to a degree).
My husband is a classic car enthusiast and a butterfly nerd
I just love being outdoors and whilst being a sun worshiper would certainly not want to sit in the sun all year round- I like to be active.

We are thinking of possibly keeping a property in the UK and moving to Spain for a set time- say 5-10 years and then if it all worked out we could stay longer. As part of our inheritance we are down to inherit two properties and we also own our own home outright.
I have ideas of volunteering at an animal shelter while my husband talks of guided nature walks- along with the possible holiday rental.
We will need an income from something- whether that comes from renting out property in the UK or Spain we won't have savings to live off (well I don't THINK we will).

So since 2008 we've been talking about this - we need to learn the language, visit different areas- so much to research.
I myself suffered a series illness 2011 and 2012 and now in remission but can relapse (not the big C) I have a lot to research regarding healthcare- this is quite a major one for me.

Sorry, bit more than a hello, thanks for reading!

Claire (and Nick)
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Scotland!

Hi Claire, and welcome to BE. See you have found your way over to the Spanish section so will leave you in their capable hands.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Frugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of lightFrugal Girl72 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Hi Claire, and welcome to BE. See you have found your way over to the Spanish section so will leave you in their capable hands.

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:55 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum

Yes do,check out the healthcare issue. So important as you get older to,have plans in place. All the best with your ideas.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hello and welcome to the forum

Yes do,check out the healthcare issue. So important as you get older to,have plans in place. All the best with your ideas.
Thank you!