Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello - new to this forum & indeed any forum

Hello - new to this forum & indeed any forum

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Coogeegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello - new to this forum & indeed any forum

I am not British but my husband was born in Lancashire. Many very interesting comments and advice so hoping to learn much.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:03 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - new to this forum & indeed any forum

Originally Posted by Coogeegirl
I am not British but my husband was born in Lancashire. Many very interesting comments and advice so hoping to learn much.
Hello and Welcome.

Whereabouts in the world are you? And where, if anywhere, are you heading?

Tell us a bit more about yourselves and we can point you in the right direction.

A.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: Hello - new to this forum & indeed any forum

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Hello and Welcome.

Whereabouts in the world are you? And where, if anywhere, are you heading?

Tell us a bit more about yourselves and we can point you in the right direction.

A.
Thank you for the prompt welcome - not sure if this is how I reply - I had to create a blog as a training exercise at work but this is different.
I have joined because we have a big problem - my mother-in-law has lived in South Africa for years. She receives a British pension(saw active service in WWII) and lives in a retirement home but is now finding she cant afford the monthly fees (after they took a big slice of her capital for supposedly life-time care) and is terribly unhappy. We have looked into applying for a visa for her to live with us in Australia but these take years (she is 86) and even if she came on a visitor's visa, she wouldnt be eligible for medicare.
We wondered if she would be eligible for any benefits if she went back to the UK.
I will keep reading the forum as I have just come across it but if you can direct me to a relevant thread would be much appreciated.
Regards
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:37 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to read of your problems although I seem to remember a thread very simialr to this some months back.

You could try looking through the threads here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:18 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Coogeegirl

First of all welcome to BE.

What a terrible predicament your mother in law is in - it saddens me very much when I hear of elderly folks finding themselves in such circumstances. Some of the people who run these retirement schemes are extremely ruthless and money grabbing.
I see Sherlock has given you a link to our 'moving back to the UK' forum in his above post. I would recommend you post your question onto that forum as there are lots of folks on there, most of whom are past retirement age, who are either in the process of or have made the move back to the UK, so I am sure some of them will be able to help you with some answers. Like Sherlock I seem to recall another thread on that forum relating to this issue.
It may also be worth your while doing a google search on the UK Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and sending them an e mail asking how your mother in law would fare in terms of benefits etc should she return. It is this department who are responsible for all pension and benefit related matters for over 65s.

I hope you find a resolution soon

Dread - x
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Sorry to read of your problems although I seem to remember a thread very simialr to this some months back.

You could try looking through the threads here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Thanks so much for the link will look at
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Coogeegirl

First of all welcome to BE.

What a terrible predicament your mother in law is in - it saddens me very much when I hear of elderly folks finding themselves in such circumstances. Some of the people who run these retirement schemes are extremely ruthless and money grabbing.
I see Sherlock has given you a link to our 'moving back to the UK' forum in his above post. I would recommend you post your question onto that forum as there are lots of folks on there, most of whom are past retirement age, who are either in the process of or have made the move back to the UK, so I am sure some of them will be able to help you with some answers. Like Sherlock I seem to recall another thread on that forum relating to this issue.
It may also be worth your while doing a google search on the UK Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and sending them an e mail asking how your mother in law would fare in terms of benefits etc should she return. It is this department who are responsible for all pension and benefit related matters for over 65s.

I hope you find a resolution soon

Dread - x
Hello Dread
Thanks so much - will look at DWP site
Regards
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:58 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any specific advice, just some welcoming words, I hope you find what you need on BE
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I don't have any specific advice, just some welcoming words, I hope you find what you need on BE
Thanks DeadVim
reading some of the posts makes me realise how much toing and froing occurs in many peoples lives.At age 60 my husband had spent each third of his life in different countries, England, South Africa and Australia now I suppose he has been in Australia for 25 years he is more Australian than anything!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:20 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DeadVim
reading some of the posts makes me realise how much toing and froing occurs in many peoples lives.At age 60 my husband had spent each third of his life in different countries, England, South Africa and Australia now I suppose he has been in Australia for 25 years he is more Australian than anything!
We are all travellers, forever growing.

I get philosophical just before bed, forgive me ... Personally I will always be English but I will support whatever my family needs to get by in my adopted country.

It's just a ride, innit?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of your questions, I wondered if you had thought of contacting the following in the UK apart from the DWP, that is AgeUK and the British Legion as your Mother-in-Law saw service in WW2.