Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello! Moving to Houston and a bit nervous...

Hello! Moving to Houston and a bit nervous...

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:58 am
Just Joined

JiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really nice
Smile Hello! Moving to Houston and a bit nervous...

Hello!

Just wanted to introduce myself as I will be relocating from Edinburgh to Houston, Texas in February 2011 with my husband and baby boy, who will be 8 months old when we move.

My husband works in the oil industry so I guess we will end up moving around a fair bit in the years to come, but for now this is our first overseas move so I'm a bit nervous about settling in and making friends.

I am currently on maternity leave from my job in the drinks industry, but our move to the States now means that I'm going to be a 'lady of leisure' for a while, and so I'm going to need to find some mummy-and-baby activities in Houston to keep myself entertained and meet some people in a similar position. Hopefully some of the British Expats members might even be able to help me with this!

Grateful for any reassurance anyone can offer in any case!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 11:41 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello! Moving to Houston and a bit nervous...

Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery
Hello!

Just wanted to introduce myself as I will be relocating from Edinburgh to Houston, Texas in February 2011 with my husband and baby boy, who will be 8 months old when we move.

My husband works in the oil industry so I guess we will end up moving around a fair bit in the years to come, but for now this is our first overseas move so I'm a bit nervous about settling in and making friends.

I am currently on maternity leave from my job in the drinks industry, but our move to the States now means that I'm going to be a 'lady of leisure' for a while, and so I'm going to need to find some mummy-and-baby activities in Houston to keep myself entertained and meet some people in a similar position. Hopefully some of the British Expats members might even be able to help me with this!

Hi JP, and welcome to BE! And congratulations on your forthcoming addition to the family. Mrs tonrob and I are expecting our first next month.

The sensible people are still in bed, but if you want some amusement in the meantime then have a gander at this serious discussion we had about the merits of Houston a little while back.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Hi there and welcome to the BE.

We have several new members who have moved from Scotland to Houston this year. Why don't you pop over to our US Forums and take a look around? The link I have given you will take you to the main index page to the US Forum. At the top of the page is a list of sub forums...amongst them is the Meet Ups Forum...that would be good way to try to meet up with other expats in the Houston area.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 3rd 2010 at 2:44 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:25 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!
I've sent you a pm. If I don't know you, just ignore me, if I do, hello!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
I've sent you a pm. If I don't know you, just ignore me, if I do, hello!!!
New members can't receive PM's until they've made 3 posts. Try sending JiggeryPokery an email...the link is on on her profile page just above the PM link.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:38 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
New members can't receive PM's until they've made 3 posts. Try sending JiggeryPokery an email...the link is on on her profile page just above the PM link.
Thanks Jerseygirl, have done that instead.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Jerseygirl, have done that instead.
I hope she's who you think she is.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:43 pm

I hope she's who you think she is.
I know! I did say, if you're not them, please don't worry, I'm not a stalker type thing. I don't know if that'll help though if it's not them!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I know! I did say, if you're not them, please don't worry, I'm not a stalker type thing. I don't know if that'll help though if it's not them!
Whoops...I didn't mean you were a stalker...I just thought it would be pretty cool if the OP knew someone who lived in Houston before she even moved there.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:05 pm

Whoops...I didn't mean you were a stalker...I just thought it would be pretty cool if the OP knew someone who lived in Houston before she even moved there.
No, it's okay, I know what you ment!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

JiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really niceJiggeryPokery is just really nice

Thanks for your replies tonrob and Jerseygirl.
Weeze - hello! It is me so you don't have to worry about stalking randoms! Looking forward to catching up soon... (Only 1 more post and then I'll be able to read your PM!)
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:10 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

They have an organisation called moms club which is all over the country.

http://www.momsclub.org/join.html

look up the area you are looking to live in and see if there is one near you.

The club members run local events for their members and i am a member of my local one. they have regular play goups, mums nights out, park meets, lunch dates, trips, craft things, allsorts. It cost $25 a year to join but its worth it as you could find some local mums to you who are looking to make new friends too and have meet ups arranged etc you can just join in.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:33 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Hello! Just got back from dropping off my Dutch OH at the airport in Houston. Loads of expats flying in and out of the UK, the UAE, etc.

Here's one Meetup group in Houston:

http://www.meetup.com/British-Irish-Expats-Houston/

Our Austin British Meetup group is fairly lively (I am a guest as I'm American). :-)

I'm sure the Houston posse will be along shortly. Do you have any ideas about where you'd like to live? (Houston is very large!)
Old Dec 9th 2010, 3:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

my Sister in Law and a few friends live in Houston and they all love it! good luck with your move

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.