Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from me (looking to relocate near coast of Southern Spain/Portugal)

Hello from me (looking to relocate near coast of Southern Spain/Portugal)

Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Alan_001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Hello from me (looking to relocate near coast of Southern Spain/Portugal)

Good day, folks,
I just wanted to say hello, as I hope to visit this forum from time to time. I'm single and recently retired, but physically fit and hungry for new adventure. I'm seriously looking to relocate somewhere in southern Portugal/Spain because British winters depress me and the prospect of cheaper living appeals. I'm currently leaning towards Portugal, because I think I prefer Atlantic winds and waves to the relative calm of the Med. I also enjoy gardening, so Portugal's climate is probably more suited to me than relatively arrid Southeast Spain.

I'm quite interested in finding retirement-oriented communities near the coast of southern Spain/Portugal, rather than family-oriented communities, as I have no children. I love fine white sandy beaches, coastal views, beautiful landscapes and happy people. I'm thinking of buying a holiday home, or a piece of land with a perhaps-derelict or partly-finished building, somewhere where I won't feel too isolated, or bored from lack of things to explore. I enjoy camping, canoeing, art and music. I am experienced in building and renovation, having worked in construction and having renovated several houses. I'd like to be within easy drive of a town with supermarkets and builders' merchants.

My budget is limited until such time as I sell my UK home. I'm open to the idea of a partnership of some kind, regarding property investment. I'm currently gearing up for an exploratory trip along the Iberian coast, perhaps from Valencia to Porto. Unfortunately my familiarity with the Iberian languages is scant, but I'm learning!

Looking forward to chatting with any of you to exchange ideas and discuss possibilities.

Best wishes to all,
~Al
Old Oct 19th 2017, 4:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from me (looking to relocate near coast of Southern Spain/Portugal)

Hi Al and welcome to BE

Sounds like a nice retirement plan. Our Spain forum should do you nicely. Have a read of the many posts there and after a read of the site rules linked on the beige header above, please let those members know what you are interested in learning.

You can start here: Spain - British Expats

Rete
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Alan_001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello from me (looking to relocate near coast of Southern Spain/Portugal)

Originally Posted by Rete
Hi Al and welcome to BE

Sounds like a nice retirement plan. Our Spain forum should do you nicely. Have a read of the many posts there and after a read of the site rules linked on the beige header above, please let those members know what you are interested in learning.

Rete
Hi Rete,
Thank you for the welcome! I'm currently undecided between Southern Spain and Southern Portugal, with no strong preference, so I've posted a query in the more general 'Europe' section initially. I hope that was the logical thing to do.
Regards,
Alan
Old Oct 21st 2017, 8:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That's fine. You can also post your inquiry in both the Spain forum and in the Portugal forum (Portugal - British Expats), thereby covering all bases.