British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Hello lovely people (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hello-lovely-people-901125/)

Kaygee276 Aug 3rd 2017 10:42 am

Hello lovely people

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I am looking forward to reading all of the interesting and valuable information that I am going to get from you all.

A little about me... I'm married - no children, just a dog.
My husband and I love the USA and drive around it whenever we can. We are slowly ticking off each state (25 to go).

We are in the financial situation where we would love to buy a house in the USA, just as a vacation home - we aren't looking to retire out there or anything - well not yet anyway - I'm in my late 40's, other half early 50's, so have a way to go before we can stop working.

I have lots of questions, but will read up as much as I can first to see what gems of information are already out there!

Look forward to making some 'virtual' friends! :starsmile:

moneypenny20 Aug 3rd 2017 10:50 am

Re: Hello lovely people

Hi there Kaygee. Welcome to BE, I hope you get masses out of the place. I suggest you head over to the USA Forums - probably ask your housing query in the main USA board. I don't know enough about the US to say anything other than I had a friend who had a holiday home in Florida for about 20 years and have just sold it but I'm not sure why :)

Pulaski Aug 3rd 2017 10:56 am

Hi Kaygee, welcome to BE. :wave:

I will see you over on the US forum as that is usually where I hang out.

BTW please take a moment to review the site rules, which are linked in the far right end of the yellowish menu bar above.

mikelincs Aug 3rd 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Kaygee276 (Post 12308359)
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I am looking forward to reading all of the interesting and valuable information that I am going to get from you all.

A little about me... I'm married - no children, just a dog.
My husband and I love the USA and drive around it whenever we can. We are slowly ticking off each state (25 to go).

We are in the financial situation where we would love to buy a house in the USA, just as a vacation home - we aren't looking to retire out there or anything - well not yet anyway - I'm in my late 40's, other half early 50's, so have a way to go before we can stop working.

I have lots of questions, but will read up as much as I can first to see what gems of information are already out there!

Look forward to making some 'virtual' friends! :starsmile:

Welcome to BE

Please take a few minutes to have a read of the site rules, beige bar at the top, and if you do have any site related problems please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of the page.

you might like to have a read of this from the BE Wiki,,

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

and please give a shout out to our US forum people, found here..

USA - British Expats

given what you say, i'm not too sure just what you will be looking for, you will, almost certainly, only be able to travel using the VWP, which will only give you 90 days at a time in the US, there is no visa available just because you have a holiday home there.