Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello everyone! Wife of Expat.

Hello everyone! Wife of Expat.

Old May 11th 2011, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

AmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really nice
Smile Hello everyone! Wife of Expat.

I just want to say hello and thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this forum. I live in Longview, Texas USA and my husband is from Thatcham, Berkshire, UK. We just came back from a trip to the UK nearly three weeks ago. I'm having UK withdrawls you might say. I love it there, being the food, people and various areas. I miss the scones, clotted cream and strawberry preserves!
Old May 11th 2011, 1:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello everyone! Wife of Expat.

Originally Posted by AmyM73
I just want to say hello and thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this forum. I live in Longview, Texas USA and my husband is from Thatcham, Berkshire, UK. We just came back from a trip to the UK nearly three weeks ago. I'm having UK withdrawls you might say. I love it there, being the food, people and various areas. I miss the scones, clotted cream and strawberry preserves!
Hi there and welcome to BE.

Now you've gone and got me lusting after scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream.

Why don't you pop over to our US Forums...take a look around and join in the fun? We have quite a few members living in Texas

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old May 11th 2011, 1:57 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Ah my Dad's in the UK in Devon where they have the best clotted cream and scones. I miss that...they just don't make it the same here in South Africa.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Totally agree with you about missing clotted cream, the best is made in Devon not Cornwall as most people believe (I am not biased, honest)

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2011, 2:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn
Ah my Dad's in the UK in Devon where they have the best clotted cream and scones. I miss that...they just don't make it the same here in South Africa.
Karma for that. This is by far the best and truest post that I have ever read on BE.

You cannot tell that I am from Devon can you??????????

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2011, 2:23 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Totally agree with you about missing clotted cream, the best is made in Devon not Cornwall as most people believe (I am not biased, honest)
Still out on whether the strawberry jam in the UK is better or not than here in SA. There are some pretty yummy jams here. I think the sun makes the fruit taste better for some reason which is far too scientific for me to fathom.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

AmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really niceAmyM73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hi there and welcome to BE.

Now you've gone and got me lusting after scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream.

Why don't you pop over to our US Forums...take a look around and join in the fun? We have quite a few members living in Texas

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Thank you so much! Not to mention the many other foods I miss too! ) I look so forward in being a part of this forum and getting to know everyone. Wishing I would have found it sooner than now.
Old May 11th 2011, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

We drove down to Torquay to pick up Granny (My husband's Grandmother but I adopted her as mine too), take her back to my Mother in Law's house and we bought some proper Devon clotted cream on the way back. *blushing* I bought two containers.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:13 pm

We drove down to Torquay to pick up Granny (My husband's Grandmother but I adopted her as mine too), take her back to my Mother in Law's house and we bought some proper Devon clotted cream on the way back. *blushing* I bought two containers.
ONLY TWO; you should be totally ashamed of yourself for being so mean to yourself!!!!!

Rosemary
Old May 11th 2011, 4:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE
Old May 11th 2011, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to BE
Thank you so much!
Old May 11th 2011, 6:43 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Amy

Now I have read your post I just had to add scones, raspberry jam and clotted cream to my shopping list, otherwise I will crave for them until I have some. That means you are a very bad influence !!!

Welcome to BE and I hope you have lots of fun in this here little cyber world.

Dread - x
Old May 11th 2011, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Amy

Now I have read your post I just had to add scones, raspberry jam and clotted cream to my shopping list, otherwise I will crave for them until I have some. That means you are a very bad influence !!!

Welcome to BE and I hope you have lots of fun in this here little cyber world.

Dread - x
The saying around here in the sticks is, 'I'm so bad that I'm good!' I can't have any again until going back to England next year! We went through 3 containers of clotted cream at my Mother In Law's house. I could have scones, clotted cream and jam for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a snack of it in between meals. I even bought a container of Clotted Cream ice cream. Talk about tasty!!!!!! Sooooo creamy! I think it was 'Kelly's' brand. I'd have to pull up the Tesco website, or Sainsbury's to be for sure.

Thank you so much for the kind welcome!
Old May 12th 2011, 4:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Kia ora Amy & welcome to BE. I do wish people would stop talking about British food though. Now I want scones with strawberry jam & clotted cream too

No chance of getting clotted cream or even double cream in New Zealand . Given that the dairy industry is probably one of our biggest industries, it always amazes me that dairy products are so expensive here & that there's such a lack of choice.

Anyway, enough of my wee rant, happy posting Amy
Old May 12th 2011, 8:18 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
No chance of getting clotted cream or even double cream in New Zealand . Given that the dairy industry is probably one of our biggest industries, it always amazes me that dairy products are so expensive here & that there's such a lack of choice.

D
Ok so now you have me researching clotted cream here in SA. How tantalising close but yet so far, i've found some Brits making around the Cape Area

http://www.spill.co.za/niblets/clott...obertson/1770/

and I've been reliabley informed you can get the genuine stuff at Vovo Telo French cafe.

Think I've just sorted out my weekends activities.....the search for authentice clotted cream.

Thanks folks. Was just thinking what me and the bubba could do this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.