Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello Everyone. Possible move to Qatar

Hello Everyone. Possible move to Qatar

Old May 10th 2012, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

GazzaMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello Everyone. Possible move to Qatar

Hi everyone. Just thought I would introduce myself, as I may need some experienced advice. I'm Gary and I am 30 years old. I currently reside in Chester (U.K) and work for a "leading waste management" company here. I have worked within this sector for 10 years and I am currently studying a BA(hons) in Operations and Project Management. After posting my C.V I had a call from another leading waste management company in Qatar. After a Skype call/interview, it would appear I fit their requirements and after a further interview in London a job offer is being sent. I have some questions, but I shall post them in the relevant section, just thought I would say hi first

Gary
Old May 10th 2012, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Everyone.

Originally Posted by GazzaMac
Hi everyone. Just thought I would introduce myself, as I may need some experienced advice. I'm Gary and I am 30 years old. I currently reside in Chester (U.K) and work for a "leading waste management" company here. I have worked within this sector for 10 years and I am currently studying a BA(hons) in Operations and Project Management. After posting my C.V I had a call from another leading waste management company in Qatar. After a Skype call/interview, it would appear I fit their requirements and after a further interview in London a job offer is being sent. I have some questions, but I shall post them in the relevant section, just thought I would say hi first

Gary
to BE Gary.

I lived in Chester (Mickle Trafford...then Rossett) before moving to the US 16 years ago.

You are correct...it would be best if you post your questions in our Middle East Forum. That way our members actually living in/or having experience of living in Qatar will see your post and hopefully be able to help you.

Good luck.
Old May 10th 2012, 5:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE!

Good luck with the potential new job
Old May 10th 2012, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome I would think it has changed a little in 16 years, it's changed in the 6 years I have lived here
Old May 10th 2012, 5:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GazzaMac
Thanks for the welcome I would think it has changed a little in 16 years, it's changed in the 6 years I have lived here
It sure has...and not for the better. What on earth has happened to Frodsham Street? It used to be a lovely little street full of small established shops...now it's full of charity shops and betting shops. I feel the city centre has become quite run down in the last few years.
Old May 10th 2012, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

I know, to many shopping centres and industrial parks take the public away from the city centre. Take this for example, you know how small the city centre is, yet we have 3 ladbrookes, 2 New Looks and 3 Argos' lol? Lack of variety here now, and the night life stinks too, not that I bother anymore (old and grumpy now lol)!!
Old May 12th 2012, 6:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 12th 2012, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I have been reading and gathering as much info as poss off the site. We are pretty set on the move so long as the verbal agreement arrives on paper lol. Getting great feedback and experiences from other users, glad I joined
Old May 13th 2012, 7:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and warm from Malaysia. Qatar is one of the more advanced countries in the Gulf. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Oh... and fabulous winter weather too
Old May 15th 2012, 6:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Everyone. Possible move to Qatar

Hi Gary,

Welcome to BE and congrats on the job offer. I hope you are finding your way around our little forum ok.

Plenty of us around if you get stuck on anything so please don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Did you accept the job offer?
Old May 17th 2012, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of

Good luck in Qatar ,great country my daughter lives works there.Just need to respect their customs.Accomadion is usually provide as part of the cintract big bonus check it out.Weather very hot June to sept plus 50 otherthan that very nice climate
Old May 20th 2012, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys. Well, not heard anything as yet, but from initial contact from email to the skype interview was a month, so I am not to concerned. He did mention in the interview that it took him 5 months to go from been head hunted to starting work, so I am guessing they don't rush things lol. I don't mind really, as the extra time allows me to continue with the research and settle everyone into the idea. I say this, the family are more excited then I am, probably due to the fact it will be me sorting everything out lol.

Gaz