Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello everyone:) Need an info. Canadian moving to UK

Hello everyone:) Need an info. Canadian moving to UK

Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

thunderg0d is just really nicethunderg0d is just really nicethunderg0d is just really nicethunderg0d is just really nicethunderg0d is just really nicethunderg0d is just really nicethunderg0d is just really nicethunderg0d is just really nice
Red face Hello everyone:) Need an info. Canadian moving to UK

Hi all,

Im a 24 yr old canadian citizen and would like to move to the UK (oxford) and was wondering if I could like surrender my canadian citizen and get british? I apologize if its a stupid question, I have no knowledge about this.

what is the best way for me? any tip would be appreciated.

thank you in advance.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello everyone..:) please need an info..

Originally Posted by thunderg0d
Hi all,

Im a 24 yr old canadian citizen and would like to move to the UK (oxford) and was wondering if I could like surrender my canadian citizen and get british? I apologize if its a stupid question, I have no knowledge about this.

thank you in advance.
Hi and welcome.

I don't know if anyone here can help you as we are mostly Brits living away from the UK. You could try reposting your question in the Canada forum...maybe someone there can help you. It would be helpful if you could state the nationality of your parents/where you were born and when.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Good luck.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

jaysanala is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hi and welcome.

I don't know if anyone here can help you as we are mostly Brits living away from the UK. You could try reposting your question in the Canada forum...maybe someone there can help you. It would be helpful if you could state the nationality of your parents/where you were born and when.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Good luck.
Hi
Good luck
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:43 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Welcome to BE

Not as simple a process as just surrendering one citizenship and taking on another.
You will need to get a visa to come to come to the UK. Depending on the type of visa depends on whether you can work, study etc. Usually conditions are attached.
Then you have to live/work or whatever here for a certain period of several years, then maybe you can apply for citizenship.

Or marry a Brit .... but even this is no guarentee these days...

Unfortnately I don't think claiming asylum will quite be believed ....

Dread - x
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:08 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thunderg0d
Hi all,

thank you in advance.
Hi thunderg0d,

Welcome to BE. Most of our members are going the other way, UK --> Canada, so hence we might not have many other people here in the same position as yourself, but try posting in our Canada forum anyway, and maybe we have a few people in your position.

If you don't get any joy there you might want to check out Canadian-expats which is a site for Canadians moving to, and living in the UK.

The best of luck with your new adventure. You are going to love Oxford it's a wonderful city.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

patex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello everyone:) Need an info. Canadian moving to UK

I'm a dual Canadian/British citizen, born in Canada, living in England. I have British parents, so I'm in a different boat to you, but I am 24 and about to make the move back to Canada from England for the first time since birth, so I can empathise with your situation. I would happily give you my place here in England, but sadly it isn't that simple.

Two friends of mine who successfully emigrated to England from Canada went through the education route. Applying to English universities, which allowed them to stay for the duration of the course and obtain part-time work at the same time. During their studies, one married an English man (there's your visa), the other obtained a job offer from an English company prior to finishing the degree and went to work for them immediately after graduation (and there's the other visa).

I think that the easiest options, assuming you don't have a claim to UK citizenship, is to reasearch entry on either education or sponsored employment visas. Good luck!

Last edited by patex; Mar 29th 2011 at 4:23 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:04 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello everyone:) Need an info. Canadian moving to UK

Originally Posted by patex
I'm a dual Canadian/British citizen, born in Canada, living in England. I have British parents, so I'm in a different boat to you, but I am 24 and about to make the move back to Canada from England for the first time since birth, so I can empathise with your situation. I would happily give you my place here in England, but sadly it isn't that simple.

Two friends of mine who successfully emigrated to England from Canada went through the education route. Applying to English universities, which allowed them to stay for the duration of the course and obtain part-time work at the same time. During their studies, one married an English man (there's your visa), the other obtained a job offer from an English company prior to finishing the degree and went to work for them immediately after graduation (and there's the other visa).

I think that the easiest options, assuming you don't have a claim to UK citizenship, is to reasearch entry on either education or sponsored employment visas. Good luck!

To note on that point :

You would have to make sure of 2 things now:

1. It is a REAL educational establishment
2. That the course is not available where you are

The authorities have started to get tough on educational visas now after too many were found to be claiming student visas for bogus colleges etc. and were actively involved in dubious activity such as proscribed organisations and terrorism plots.
Best advice - get a place at a university or an old established educational college (that said Oxford is the place for both of these !!)

Good luck anyways

Dread - x