Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello British Expat in the USA with an American wife looking to return to the UK

Hello British Expat in the USA with an American wife looking to return to the UK

Old Jul 8th 2016, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

ShesleyWalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello British Expat in the USA with an American wife looking to return to the UK

Hello all,

I am working my way through understanding all the red tape to move back to the UK with my family. We have been in the US for nearly 20 years now we would like to return.

I married my wife who is an American citizen in the UK in 1997, who, at the time had the indefinite right to remain. Right after that a job opportunity came up for me in the US. We moved here and have had 3 children since then. I am a dual citizen and my daughters can all apply for UK passports. Just trying to work through the boards to understand the procedures and if there is anyway that my wife's ILR can still be a help or if we need to start that process over.

Many thanks and looking forward to learning much!
Old Jul 8th 2016, 9:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello British Expat in the USA with an American wife looking to return to the UK

Originally Posted by ShesleyWalsh
Hello all,

I am working my way through understanding all the red tape to move back to the UK with my family. We have been in the US for nearly 20 years now we would like to return.

I married my wife who is an American citizen in the UK in 1997, who, at the time had the indefinite right to remain. Right after that a job opportunity came up for me in the US. We moved here and have had 3 children since then. I am a dual citizen and my daughters can all apply for UK passports. Just trying to work through the boards to understand the procedures and if there is anyway that my wife's ILR can still be a help or if we need to start that process over.

Many thanks and looking forward to learning much!
Hello and welcome to BE.

ILR expires after two years if you leave the UK so if your wife left the UK nearly 20 years ago then you'll need to start from scratch. Check out the wiki for a summary of the requirements, particularly the financial requirements, for sponsoring your wife for a spousal visa.

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki

Another option to explore is whether your wife has any recent ancestry which would enable her to apply for a British, Irish or other European passport to avoid having to go down the spousal visa route, e.g. parents, grandparents or even great-grandparents in some limited circumstances.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

ShesleyWalsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello British Expat in the USA with an American wife looking to return to the UK

Thanks for the welcome and info I will look at the wiki and and ask anymore questions in the appropriate forums
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

And hello from me.