Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from Auckland

Hello from Auckland

Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:40 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello from Auckland

Just saying hi as new to the forum.

Have been in Auckland for going on 6 years now and work on the North Shore. Really enjoyed it until about 6 months ago and now feel it is time to move on, but can't decide where to

Daughters now adults but are irritated with life here and the fact NZ is really so small with limited opportunities. I don't particularly want to return to the UK but looking for an adventure somewhere else.

It's all a bit hard just now

But at least summer is nearly here and let's hope it's as good as last year
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:03 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Auckland

Welcome to BE, not sure what to advise as to where to go from here but have a nosey round the forums and see what takes your fancy.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:09 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the welcome

Looking forward to having like minded folks to chat with
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:13 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Sorry you're not having a good time at the moment but do remember that the grass is not always greener.... But as Mrs Fychan says....have a browse around the forum. Not always so easy getting visas in some countries though.

You said though that you enjoyed it there for 6 years? But just the last 6 months its been a problem. Do you just need to be moving somewhere within NZ? Just a thought.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 5:32 am
wish I wasn't here!

Thanks bakedbean for your comments

I agree the grass isn't always greener, just wish I knew where I wanted to be

We have looked at moving within NZ but is too expensive to be honest. We already pay a small fortune living just north of the shore and to move into the city, apart from actual moving costs, would increase our payments by $125-150/week. And where we live is lovely, we are only a 2 minute drive from a beautiful long beach and can see the estuary from our windows.

Unfortunately I think it's more down to not feeling as though I belong here, and my daughters are feeling the same, but I have to stay for at least a further 18 months due to study commitments - and it is probably sensible to do this.

Am planning a trip back to the UK and Europe in August next year which hopefully will help me clarify things (at least a bit anyway).

But in the meantime, life, work and study go on.

Old Sep 21st 2013, 12:44 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Well...maybe use the 18 months researching and see how you feel after the Europe trip eh?

Check,out the Europe forums on here, and maybe the Moving Back to the UK section too. Plenty of info on here and folks to discuss with.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 8:07 pm
Hez
Just Joined

Hez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Sparkleydiva. Sorry to hear that not enjoying life in NZ anymore. However, me and my husband were considering a potential move there may I therefore ask why you are leaving? Is there any chance you can advise as to the true state of the economy and if there are not too many jobs? You stated that housing costs are pretty high but wondered in relation to groceries etc. We did live in Canada in 2007 for a period of time and loved it (needed to return home due to family issues). However, we have also wondered about returning there but again not sure of the true state of economy so am hoping that someone can advise.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:09 am
wish I wasn't here!

Hi Hez,

I'm looking at moving on, although not this year, for many reasons to be honest. The biggest one, and it may seem odd but I am approaching 50 and I work in palliative care and I feel I don't belong here, have had my adventure and certainly do not want to die here.I know it may seem morbid, but it is just how I feel.

There are some things that I love here - primarily the weather which is so much milder than where I lived in the UK. I live just north of Auckland and it is generally quite mild. I also love being so close to the beach and I have welcomed the opportunity to continue to study which would have been more difficult had I stayed home.

Our income is quite reasonable, considering I only work 0.6FTE but husband works full time and is on call 24/7 - 365 days with no extra financial benefit So our income is around $150,000, and we are fairly comfortable, eat well and enjoy regular holidays - if generally going shopping in Aussie.

Yet I am unsettled because:

I have 2 now adult daughters, both of whom are well educated with one or more degrees and yet there are no opportunities for them to work in their chosen fields in NZ, despite being NZ educated. My eldest is currently working as a temporary receptionist as it is all she can get and at least it is work. My youngest, who is still studying, works on a casual basis also.

I worked for the first 4 years in casual work only despite being highly qualified with 20+ years experience in a skill listed on the shortage list as, despite this apparent shortage, I still needed to have 2 years minimum NZ experience to be considered for any post. I found this very frustrating after NZ Immigration granting us PR Visas very quickly back in 2006. (I have 3 degrees, a professional qualification and am studying for my 4th degree).

We haven't bought a property as prices are so high and to invest I think you need to be in it for the long haul and so we continue to rent. Currently, and living some 37km north of the CBD, we pay $625/week. The house is a good size, poorly maintained by the landlord but at least we have a heat pump. The travel is also a problem. Off peak I can drive into the CBD in 25 minutes but peak time it takes me 50 minutes just to get to Takapuna and that is going on the back roads, let alone the city. My husband and both daughters work in the CBD and each pay $215 for a monthly bus card for this purpose.

Heating is generally dire, particularly in rental properties, but even with those who own their houses (as I do home visits as part of my job) have cold houses - they tend to be quite mean with heating and put an extra jumper on.

Power is on par with the UK as are water rates. Food costs are variable and always subjective depending on what you like to eat. Mine are very high, but I do tend to buy high end products, and organic where I can. Fruit and vegetables are very much seasonal and I really like this I also think generally that meat, fruit and vegetables are much higher quality than the UK, as when I visited early last year I was shocked at some of the products offered back home.

Coffee and cafe culture is truly awesome here - best I've seen.

Clothes shopping is dire. OMG... and the clothes (for me) are too big especially across the shoulders so I still order from the UK and I can get most things. M&S is currently free shipping, ASOS is fantastic as are many others. I do tend to go over to Aussie at least once each year (if not more often) particularly for shoe shopping as for me the shoes are either awful or very very expensive for what you get. I bought a pair of leather boots in Mi Piaci in the sale for $400 and they have only lasted 2 winters whereas my 100gbp boots from Aldo are still going strong 6 years later.

BUT, this is just my opinion and experience. I do think jobs are very scarce at the moment as I keep my Seek account updates going although my job is fine and even in my profession jobs are few and far between recently. Eldest daughter looking for permanent post and now 12 months later still struggling.

We have applied for our citizenship now so that should husband be made redundant we at least have the option of Aussie as a stop gap where money is better and food awesome but expensive also. (Husband's company cull staff every year with almost 1000 gone in April this year)

You will find that many may not agree with my take on things, but it is just my opinion. Lovely place to look at but living here is hard at times. You need to have a good income to live well and if you do it can be beautiful.

Forgot to mention - the driving is awful

Thats how I get by!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:29 am
Hez
Just Joined

Thanks Spakleydiva for the information, it is very much appreciated. I have to say we are not as educated as yourselves (no degrees, just trades people). I work in the NHS as a Team Secretary to Palliative Care and my husband is a truck driver, so based on your honest opinion (which really counts a lot) think NZ will be off the list for us. I can honestly say that when we went to Canada we thoroughly enjoyed our experience (shame it had to be cut short, due to family issues). However, maybe we will have to look more at returning there.

We stayed in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

I do hope that your daughters get a permanent job, shame to let degrees go to waste.

Whereabouts in Canada are thinking of relocating to?
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:14 am
wish I wasn't here!

Hi Hez

You are welcome, but please don't base your decision just on my opinion, do get others also.

You never know, I may look you up when I get back for work in palliative care

I am probably looking at Singapore, Europe (Geneva in particular or Copenhagen) and then returning to Scotland eventually as that is where i'm from, although lived in England for a long time, but not Canada just now. My sister and brother in law did apply to Canada some years ago but nothing came of that application. I think I want to experience a few other countries before returning home to retire but only places where a British passport makes it so much easier May be an easy option, but can't face the hassle of applications etc again

Anyway, take care, good luck with whatever you decide to do and as I say, just check out others views also
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:39 am
Hez
Just Joined

Will do. You take care yourselves and stay in touch.

Take it you have not considered US? Would this be an option for you guys.

We had heard that a lot of overseas workers are being requested to leave NZ is this true due to the economy and lack of jobs?

Stay in touch as if we return to Canada we can provide updates regarding true status of things. Currently hooking up with some old friends we met out there.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:42 am
wish I wasn't here!

Not sure about the US, not somewhere I've really thought about

Take care and good luck if you do get back to Canada

There have been a few cases where people on Work Visas and not PR have had to leave or have had difficulty renewing them - but that is always the risk on a temporary visa, but nothing major that I've heard about

Old Sep 22nd 2013, 2:51 pm
Hez
Just Joined

OK thanks for this.

Will take your advice and ask around and decide from there.

Take care to you all. Nice communicating with you.

Thanks