HELLO ALL

Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:13 am
Just Joined

helpBRITS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELLO ALL

I am joining this site to raise awareness, meet other like minded individuals and gain support for my cause:

My Uncle Martin P Cook died last night in Belize of an illness that could have been treated here in the UK. He was 56 years old and Paraplegic in a wheel chair, he broke his back at the young age of 17 whilst serving for country in the UK. I realise you will all say to me, did he have insurance? and the answer is no, not any that would have got him home for life saving treatment in the UK. I still see no reason why he should have been left to rot in a foreign country on the other side of the world..........He became ill on the 6th Sept 11' and my family and I have been battling to get him home ever since.

Why was he in Belize? well he fell in love (online) and moved to salem, oregon 15 years ago, him and his wife moved to Belize 6 yrs ago and built thier own house, they had been saving to come back to the UK when my uncle fell ill and the hospitals in Belize took thier savings and sent him home to die............he was ill treated and neglected the whole time whilst he was in thier care, my aunt says 'they simply hate us Brits'..........

Unfortunately despite many a phone call to every organisation imaginable, no one could help us, in fact very few could even offer the advice we needed. My uncle died and didn't deserve to die, I am aghast that there is not a single organisation out there that can help? it would have cost us 42,800 pounds to get my uncle home by medevac, almost an impossible feat in the time frame we had.

I want to set up a charity organisation in my uncle's name to help others who are clueless and helpless in similiar situations to us. If you can relate/sympathise with our story please comment, I am in the process of setting up a trust and a charity and we are looking for people to be case workers, advisors or simply listeners for our cause........

thanks for listening, please be kind, no negative comments are welcome my uncle only passed away last night xxx
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:16 am
Just Joined

helpBRITS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELLO ALL

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1780...group_activity

the above is a link to a group we set up in desperation with my uncle's story onxxx
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:24 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I am terrible sorry to read about your uncle.

When you mention you were trying to get him "home" where was that as I see he moved to Belize from Oregon?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:26 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpBRITS
I am joining this site to raise awareness, meet other like minded individuals and gain support for my cause:

My Uncle Martin P Cook died last night in Belize of an illness that could have been treated here in the UK. He was 56 years old and Paraplegic in a wheel chair, he broke his back at the young age of 17 whilst serving for country in the UK. I realise you will all say to me, did he have insurance? and the answer is no, not any that would have got him home for life saving treatment in the UK. I still see no reason why he should have been left to rot in a foreign country on the other side of the world..........He became ill on the 6th Sept 11' and my family and I have been battling to get him home ever since.

Why was he in Belize? well he fell in love (online) and moved to salem, oregon 15 years ago, him and his wife moved to Belize 6 yrs ago and built thier own house, they had been saving to come back to the UK when my uncle fell ill and the hospitals in Belize took thier savings and sent him home to die............he was ill treated and neglected the whole time whilst he was in thier care, my aunt says 'they simply hate us Brits'..........

Unfortunately despite many a phone call to every organisation imaginable, no one could help us, in fact very few could even offer the advice we needed. My uncle died and didn't deserve to die, I am aghast that there is not a single organisation out there that can help? it would have cost us 42,800 pounds to get my uncle home by medevac, almost an impossible feat in the time frame we had.

I want to set up a charity organisation in my uncle's name to help others who are clueless and helpless in similiar situations to us. If you can relate/sympathise with our story please comment, I am in the process of setting up a trust and a charity and we are looking for people to be case workers, advisors or simply listeners for our cause........

thanks for listening, please be kind, no negative comments are welcome my uncle only passed away last night xxx

Hi

First of all welcome to BE.

What a terrible tragedy. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It must be very hard to bear the loss of your uncle knowing that things could have been so different if only for the if only.
Sometimes I wonder where priorities lie in the UK. It is terribly sad when someone has to lose their life in order to highlight the need for a service to help ill and sick British citizens abroad.
I don't think anyone on here will make negative comments. It is truly amazing that even in the midst of your grief you want to create something so positive from such an unecessarily tragic event, and create an organisation to help others who find themselves in a similar situation in the future.

I wish you the very best in your endeavour, may your uncle rest in peace, and your family and you maintain the strength and courage to see your idea come to fruition.

Dread - x
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but I don't see how any country could possibly offer a lifetime guarantee that you will be repatriated and given free medial treatment.

Not meant to 'unkind', just realistic.