Hello!

Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

yorkshirerover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello!

Hello all. I'm Paul, and while excited about the prospect of emigrating I guess joining the forum has made this seem very real all of a sudden and am now feeling a bit anxious! I think it is the practicalities that have just hit me.

I am a native Brit living in the UK, an archaeologist by training, working for a Canadian company as their research director for 12 years. Looking forward to more outdoors and more weather...yes, I understand about the climate. I used to live in Scandinavia and have spent a lot of time up in northern BC.

I am planning on moving with my Canadian wife to Nova Scotia as soon as it is safe to do so. I'd say over the last 20 years along with our vacation visits to family I used to regularly visit the HQ so am not a greenhorn when it comes to the culture. However, transferring and setting up over there is another thing. It seems so confusing and a bit overwhelming. My HR manager suggested it might be easier to do a transfer given my position in the company and then for me to apply for PR while out there on the work visa. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Paul

Old Aug 20th 2020, 9:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!

Welcome to BE and good luck!

NS is lovely
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Wella1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul,

I can't offer any advice on the visa/PR side of things but me and OH lived in NS for 5 1/2 years. We have been back in the UK for the last 3 but are looking to get back over there sometime next year. If there is anything I can help with in terms of questions about the area etc, I will endeavor to help you.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshirerover View Post
Hello all. I'm Paul, and while excited about the prospect of emigrating I guess joining the forum has made this seem very real all of a sudden and am now feeling a bit anxious! I think it is the practicalities that have just hit me.

I am a native Brit living in the UK, an archaeologist by training, working for a Canadian company as their research director for 12 years. Looking forward to more outdoors and more weather...yes, I understand about the climate. I used to live in Scandinavia and have spent a lot of time up in northern BC.

I am planning on moving with my Canadian wife to Nova Scotia as soon as it is safe to do so. I'd say over the last 20 years along with our vacation visits to family I used to regularly visit the HQ so am not a greenhorn when it comes to the culture. However, transferring and setting up over there is another thing. It seems so confusing and a bit overwhelming. My HR manager suggested it might be easier to do a transfer given my position in the company and then for me to apply for PR while out there on the work visa. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Paul
Welcome to BE

We do ask new members to have a quick read of the forum rules, white bar at the top, and should you have any site related problems please contact one of the moderators, names in black at the bttom right of the page/

Having a good read of the Canada forum, and particularly the immigration thread should be a help for you.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi...hip-canada-33/
Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bob...yeah can't wait to get back!
Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Hello!

Originally Posted by Wella1 View Post
Hi Paul,

I can't offer any advice on the visa/PR side of things but me and OH lived in NS for 5 1/2 years. We have been back in the UK for the last 3 but are looking to get back over there sometime next year. If there is anything I can help with in terms of questions about the area etc, I will endeavor to help you.
Thanks Wella, much appreciated.