Hello!

Old Nov 3rd 2016, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

rastersmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello!

Hi, I'm Rachel and I'm new here, though I have been researching your helpful forums for the last few months pending a move back to the USA.

I'm American, my husband is British and we've been in London for the past 15 years. We are soon headed to Seattle with our two young sons.

I'm worried about reverse culture shock, and hoping my husband will like the USA. And hoping we both like Seattle as neither of us have ever been there before!!
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 4:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!

Welcome to BE, Rachel

Funny that you mention Seattle as we have a new poster on the USA forum that is coming to Seattle with their family very soon. I'm sure that they and you could find much to discuss about the impending re-settlement.

So you haven't lived in the US for at least 15 years. A long time. Most definitely going to be a culture shock for both your husband and you. Kids seem to fare well but adults do find it daunting. So many things that are so vastly different in the US from the UK apart from just the language and humor which so many Brits seem to find difficult. We, Americans, don't have the same sense of humor and it can come across as rather rude. Learning curves on both sides, right? Bet you had major adjustments when you emigrated to the UK.

Anyway, welcome to BE. Have a read of the site rules and please venture into the USA forums. Lots of good folk in the marriage-based visa forum who are knowledgeable about obtaining the spousal visa (IR-1) that you husband requires to live and work in the US. Then there is the general US forum will you can learn about tax structures, getting driver's licenses, registering cars, healthcare insurance, apartment rentals or house buying, etc., etc., etc.

Look forward to seeing you there.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 7:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!

Welcome to BE and good luck!