British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   hello!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/hello-847296/)

scubalu Nov 18th 2014 7:20 am

hello!!

Hi all,

December 1st I will be moving from Manchester to Michigan for 6 months due to my job - possibly will turn out to be a permanent move.

Feeling rather unprepared!!!

christmasoompa Nov 18th 2014 8:49 am

Re: hello!!

Welcome to BE!

Unusual to be going for such a short time, normally a company won't go through all the hassle and cost of your visa for only 6 months? So I wouldn't be surprised if you did end up staying longer just so they get their money's worth! :lol:

Head on over to the US forums and you'll soon feel more prepared, there are loads of helpful folks there. The Wiki is great too, great articles on things like relocation packages etc.

Best of luck with it.

scubalu Nov 18th 2014 8:52 am

Its quite an unusual field of work and potential to travel to the US for other new openings so i think that is why?
Either way im not complaining :-)

thanks for the info!

christmasoompa Nov 18th 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by scubalu (Post 11476002)
Its quite an unusual field of work and potential to travel to the US for other new openings so i think that is why?
Either way im not complaining :-)

Sounds great. Just out of interest (or nosiness!), what's the unusual field of work?

Is it just you moving, or do you have a family as well? Sounds like a great adventure.

:)

scubalu Nov 18th 2014 9:26 am

I set up public aquariums, fishy fun!
Just me! i dont have kids or anything so easy to move

christmasoompa Nov 18th 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by scubalu (Post 11476028)
I set up public aquariums, fishy fun!
Just me! i dont have kids or anything so easy to move

Wow, interesting line of work! So this is a company transfer and a L1 visa? That's great, and plenty of potential for staying longer term if you wish.

And yes, much easier if it's just you!

I'm sure you have loads of questions about it all, the good folks of the US forums will be very happy to help I'm sure.

Best of luck with the move.

bakedbean Nov 18th 2014 11:15 am

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Rosemary Nov 21st 2014 7:19 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary