Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Sheffield

Greetings from Sheffield

Old Jun 17th 2015, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough
Default Greetings from Sheffield

Hi!

Thought I should introduce myself... I'm originally from Long Island, NY and moved here in April 2005 to be with my partner. I am a dual national, as my Mum is from North London and emigrated to the US in 1971.

My journey has been interesting.. Met a guy online and almost a year to the day we started chatting, I moved over. We lived in Dublin for a year as well. A couple of weeks ago he broke down and told me he didnt love me anymore and we were over.

I then had to plan my future from there on. I had some money set aside for retirement due to inheritance and whatever I get from when we sell the house, but it wouldnt be enough for me to manage on my own in Sheffield (without living in the really rough bits) The money thats there, in Florida -which is where my mother lives - can buy a condo or a townhouse in a decent area and have a small mortgage.

I dont want to go, but with little family left and the job market not working in my favour, moving back Stateside is my only sensible option.

So now trying to research my options on how to move my cat and what belongings I have back. It was so much easier when I moved over - two large suitcases and my pc tower...

Anyways, hello and thanks for reading.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 3:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from Sheffield

Hi and welcome to Be

Sorry to hear that things haven't worked out but I see you're finding your way around here, and getting the advice needed to move forward (or back )

Good luck with everything!
Old Jun 18th 2015, 8:36 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Keep chin up. Hope everything goes well with the move back. I'm sure there will be loads of people to help you out on here.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

Thank you both and people have been VERY helpful so far

Its not easy and the whole situation really hasnt sunk in yet, but I'm trying to keep my head up and move forward
Old Jun 18th 2015, 3:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alternageek, sorry to hear of your situation. I moved the opposite way to you (Mrs P is a US-born USC), but left Sheffield a long time ago, when my family moved to Gloucester when I was eight years old. We used to live just off Abbey Lane in SW Sheffield, and I attended Abbey Lane Primary School. My paternal grandmother used to live on Rural Lane.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 18th 2015 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Hi Alternageek, sorry to hear of your situation. I moved the opposite way to you (Mrs P is a US-born USC), but left Sheffield a long time ago, when my family moved to Gloucester when I was eight years old. We used to live just off Abbey Lane in SW Sheffield, and I attended Abbey Lane Primary School. My paternal grandmother used to live on Rural Lane.
I'm in Meersbrook, so not too far from where you used to live...
Not sure when you were last here, but in the ten years I've lived here, this part of town has changed sooo much. Its now a hip place to be! Which is another reason why I'm sad to leave it