British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Going home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/going-home-899093/)

Argentiniancowboy Jul 5th 2017 1:24 am

Going home

Hi everyone, my name is Matt, I am a British citizen, moved to Spain in 2003 and from there to Argentina where I have been living and working for the last 10 years. Due to changing life circumstances I am ready to move back to the 'civilised' world but find myself in a grey area. I'd like to be organising things in the UK since I will be moving back to my parents house to begin with and therefore have a permanent UK address to use for organising things. Since I left I have not kept and bank accounts active or anything else for that matter. My question is whether I can begin using this address (obviously with the consent of my parents who I am in close contact) to begin working on getting documentation for opening a UK bank account even though I am still a resident in another country. How far is it justifiable to get the ball rolling as it were from outside if I am certain of returning within the next six months? There seems to be a 'grey' area where I am neither here nor there. First concerns are financial in which I've sold property here and have no destination in the UK for the proceeds in the country I'm planning to move to. I'd like to start 'proving' to the banks that I'm in the UK even though I'm not. What can be done?

Pulaski Jul 5th 2017 3:33 am

Re: Going home

Hi AC, welcome to British Expats. :wave:

This forum is just for introductions and greetings, so I think the Moving Back to the UK forum will be the best place for you to ask your questions.

BTW Please take a moment to review the site rules linked in the far right of the yellowish menu bar in the top right of the screen.

Michele11 Jul 5th 2017 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Argentiniancowboy (Post 12287030)
Hi everyone, my name is Matt, I am a British citizen, moved to Spain in 2003 and from there to Argentina where I have been living and working for the last 10 years. Due to changing life circumstances I am ready to move back to the 'civilised' world but find myself in a grey area. I'd like to be organising things in the UK since I will be moving back to my parents house to begin with and therefore have a permanent UK address to use for organising things. Since I left I have not kept and bank accounts active or anything else for that matter. My question is whether I can begin using this address (obviously with the consent of my parents who I am in close contact) to begin working on getting documentation for opening a UK bank account even though I am still a resident in another country. How far is it justifiable to get the ball rolling as it were from outside if I am certain of returning within the next six months? There seems to be a 'grey' area where I am neither here nor there. First concerns are financial in which I've sold property here and have no destination in the UK for the proceeds in the country I'm planning to move to. I'd like to start 'proving' to the banks that I'm in the UK even though I'm not. What can be done?

:welcome: I'm like really genuinely curious about one thing, when you say you are ready to move back to the civilised world? I haven't been to Argentina but would imagine as a civilized country,or maybe not?

Rosemary Jul 5th 2017 9:47 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary

Argentiniancowboy Jul 16th 2017 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Michele11 (Post 12287075)
:welcome: I'm like really genuinely curious about one thing, when you say you are ready to move back to the civilised world? I haven't been to Argentina but would imagine as a civilized country,or maybe not?

Hi Michelle11. The 'civilised' world was just a figure of speech when I wrote it but I'm glad you brought me up on it. I'll try to explain what I meant. Of course Argentina has all the institutions that we use to define the civilised world, democracy, justice, human rights and the like but after living here for quite a long time I realise that these institutions are only as good as the society that they bear over and the people who run them. Argentina is famous for being one of the most politically corrupt countries in the world, an example of personal gain over the common good. This is a mentality that pervades Argentine society from the highest to the lowest level. To be civil society has rules of civilised conduct by which things are organised for the benefit of all involved. For me the idea of 'common good' is missing here, therefore I call it, maybe unfairly, in comparison to more 'advanced' societies less civilised. Anyway, on the whole I haven't done badly here, I just find myself craving the type of social conduct that I was brought up with ;-) I was in England recently and I'm convinced that it is somewhere I want to be.