British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   flying 2 Irish Wolfounds home from USA to England (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/flying-2-irish-wolfounds-home-usa-england-705444/)

callanish Feb 14th 2011 11:47 pm

flying 2 Irish Wolfounds home from USA to England

Hi everyone,
We want to bring our 2 Irish Wolfhounds home from Los Angeles but can't find crates large enough to ship them. The xlarge ones are long enough and wide enough but not nearly tall enough, we need something 42" tall. Does anyone have any helpful hints as to where I can find a plastic crate that tall. We've been told foldable or metal crates are not approved for flying
Just for interest, BA is quoting $10,000 Virgin and Delta are quoting 8,000.

Bob Feb 14th 2011 11:51 pm

Re: flying 2 Irish Wolfounds home from USA to England

Welcome to BE!

This section is just for introductions though.

You might have better luck either posting in the Moving Back to UK section, or asking in the US section of the forums :)

Jerseygirl Feb 15th 2011 12:04 am

Originally Posted by callanish (Post 9176715)
Hi everyone,
We want to bring our 2 Irish Wolfhounds home from Los Angeles but can't find crates large enough to ship them. The xlarge ones are long enough and wide enough but not nearly tall enough, we need something 42" tall. Does anyone have any helpful hints as to where I can find a plastic crate that tall. We've been told foldable or metal crates are not approved for flying

Hello and welcome aboard.

Obviously dogs the size of I.W.s (fabulous dogs BTW) are going to cost you an arm and a leg. Loads of threads in the Moving Back To The UK Forums about taking dogs back home.

If you have time on your side it may be looking into Cunard. They have onboard kennels but seem to be booked well in advance. Take a look in the BE Wiki...there's info in there about DEFRA's requirements.

MegaJamie Feb 15th 2011 12:22 am

A Cruise company that takes dogs... awesome!

Took a bit of searching their site, but I'm bored, and unfortunately it looks like you're dogs are on the "too big" list.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/kennel_info

callanish Feb 15th 2011 12:32 am

Thanks for the help.
We're going through the DEFRA Pet Scheme so the dogs can't leave until August. I've been looking everywhere for a crate, I've even looking into crates for shipping miniature horses, all to no avail.
;)

eyeoftheocean Feb 15th 2011 1:41 am

Hi everyone,

I flew my 2 rottweilers from England , bought the containers from this place as we needed ex large .

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/sky...es-8725-0.html

Heres the Giant Cage . http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/sky...nt-9611-0.html

I only paid $450.00 on flyglobespan for my dogs each ! thats with Airtransat.

And just to let you know, as long as the dog can stand up and turn around with ease a few cm's wont matter , and line the bottom of the crate with something warm ie; blanket , as its freezing cold in cargo , that is if your dog will be in cargo ..and note .dont forget a water bowl attached to the cage.

White-ishRose Feb 15th 2011 1:45 am

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine flew from France to Canada with her Irish Wolfhound. It is the airline's responsibility to ensure that the animals are transported in the correct size crates. Nobody makes plastic crates big enough for a Wolfhound, so Air France who had the relocation deal had a special one made for him! It was so huge that she had to hire a removal van to get it home from the airport - and now I believe she keeps her chickens in it!!!! :ohmy:

White-ishRose Feb 15th 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9176742)
Hello and welcome aboard.

Obviously dogs the size of I.W.s (fabulous dogs BTW) are going to cost you an arm and a leg. Loads of threads in the Moving Back To The UK Forums about taking dogs back home.

If you have time on your side it may be looking into Cunard. They have onboard kennels but seem to be booked well in advance. Take a look in the BE Wiki...there's info in there about DEFRA's requirements.

I looked into this option last year when we moved over. It seemed like a great way to get around the airline rules, and having a dog of very nervous disposition I would have been happy to live in the kennel room with them! However, unless you can put a dog in (essentially) your handbag, it will not be allowed in their dog room. My two lab-sized beasts were waaay too big for the kennels they supply on board. :frown:

eyeoftheocean Feb 15th 2011 1:54 am

Originally Posted by White-ishRose (Post 9176899)
A friend of mine flew from France to Canada with her Irish Wolfhound. It is the airline's responsibility to ensure that the animals are transported in the correct size crates. Nobody makes plastic crates big enough for a Wolfhound, so Air France who had the relocation deal had a special one made for him! It was so huge that she had to hire a removal van to get it home from the airport - and now I believe she keeps her chickens in it!!!! :ohmy:

The airline can refuse your animal if the cage does not meet the required measurement ..so bare that in mind !

Jerseygirl Feb 15th 2011 2:36 am

Originally Posted by White-ishRose (Post 9176902)
I looked into this option last year when we moved over. It seemed like a great way to get around the airline rules, and having a dog of very nervous disposition I would have been happy to live in the kennel room with them! However, unless you can put a dog in (essentially) your handbag, it will not be allowed in their dog room. My two lab-sized beasts were waaay too big for the kennels they supply on board. :frown:

Really?? We have members who have posted in the Moving Back To The UK forum who have used Cunard to transport larger than 'handbag' sized dogs. :unsure:

White-ishRose Feb 15th 2011 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9176964)
Really?? We have members who have posted in the Moving Back To The UK forum who have used Cunard to transport larger than 'handbag' sized dogs. :unsure:

Maybe when I spoke to them last year all they had left was space for the 26lbs or under category. :o Mine certainly don't fit in that. It was all a bit of a rush once the company had decided to move us...

callanish Feb 15th 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks everybody, you guys are great!! These shipping costs just blow me away. I brought them over from Ireland on Delta, when they were pups-25lb bundles of joy, and it only cost $99 for each. I know that was a few years ago but, talk about inflation...

Englishmum, do you know the name of the boarding kennel your friends bought, and where it is? Just the thought of being separated from my four-legged kids tears at my heart, so I'm trying to persuade my husband to take them with us now, and have them stay in a kennel close to us-same country at least-so we could visit them. I know quarantine kennels are very expensive, but kennels here are too. Even friends have asked to be paid, -as much as kennels-but thats LA for you, no one does anything for free. It's an odd place.

I have to say though when we're out with the dogs people stop and ask about them saying they've never seen anything so big. We had one fellow swerve to the side of the road almost causing an accident just to ask about them. They seem to like their "purse dogs" here. LOL :fingerscrossed:

Jerseygirl Feb 15th 2011 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by callanish (Post 9178818)
Thanks everybody, you guys are great!! These shipping costs just blow me away. I brought them over from Ireland on Delta, when they were pups-25lb bundles of joy, and it only cost $99 for each. I know that was a few years ago but, talk about inflation...

Englishmum, do you know the name of the boarding kennel your friends bought, and where it is? Just the thought of being separated from my four-legged kids tears at my heart, so I'm trying to persuade my husband to take them with us now, and have them stay in a kennel close to us-same country at least-so we could visit them. I know quarantine kennels are very expensive, but kennels here are too. Even friends have asked to be paid, -as much as kennels-but thats LA for you, no one does anything for free. It's an odd place.

I have to say though when we're out with the dogs people stop and ask about them saying they've never seen anything so big. We had one fellow swerve to the side of the road almost causing an accident just to ask about them. They seem to like their "purse dogs" here. LOL :fingerscrossed:

I have a little 3.5 lbs long hair chihuahua. :lol:

BTW I think you may have replied to the wrong thread. Englishmum hasn't posted in this thread.