Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

First steps to Canada

First steps to Canada

Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently Kent,UK. Want to be in Vancouver or Toronto
Bexsell has a spectacular aura aboutBexsell has a spectacular aura aboutBexsell has a spectacular aura about
Default First steps to Canada

Hi

I am taking my very first steps towards moving to Canada - Vancouver or Toronto areas. I have family in Van and I have just returned from visiting friends in Toronto. Finally I am absolutely decided on where I want to be.

I have started looking at my contacts to try to get employment, as I do not think I will get a visa unless I do.

Any advice that is out there is very welcome.

Thank you!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:17 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First steps to Canada

Originally Posted by Bexsell
Hi

I am taking my very first steps towards moving to Canada - Vancouver or Toronto areas. I have family in Van and I have just returned from visiting friends in Toronto. Finally I am absolutely decided on where I want to be.

I have started looking at my contacts to try to get employment, as I do not think I will get a visa unless I do.

Thank you!
Hi Bexsell and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Why not pop into the main the Canada immi forum here : and post some questions there.

Thanks for calling into the Welcome Inn first.

Best of luck to you.

Alistair.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Taff435 has a spectacular aura aboutTaff435 has a spectacular aura aboutTaff435 has a spectacular aura about

Be very carefull, my family and moved to Canada after a visit in 2007. Everthing seemed fantastic at first then the reality set in. We were made as welcome as an biblical epademic. after only 6 weeks we had to move from Toronto to Calgary because the company I worked for recieved their tax exemption for the year for me then laid me off. When we got to Calgary the company I worked for seemed OK however it became blatently obvious that as a brit with construction management experience I was not welcomed by the management and made to carry out jobs that labourers would normally do. We lived and worked in Germany for 6 years so knew what it was like to live and work abroad. Please be carefull the grass is not always greener on the other side, and make damn sure you understand the expensive insurances and their tax system, if you dont instruct your company to pay more taxes you end up with a bloody big bill. And not to forget the cost of living with vehicle insurance, food and clothing, Its not a cheap as you might think, I was shocked to find that I was expected to drive for over an hour to work and back when the canadian lads were sent to sights on their doorsteps.
BE very carefull please we lost everything we owned
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you!

Hello there and welcome to BE.

Don't keep us on tenter hooks...where is it to be...Vancouver or Toronto? We have many members living in and around both cities...they usually hang out in the Canada forums. The link I have given you will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guide to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please shout out if you require assistance with anything around the site. Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 25th 2011 at 1:06 am.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taff435
Be very carefull, my family and moved to Canada after a visit in 2007. Everthing seemed fantastic at first then the reality set in. We were made as welcome as an biblical epademic. after only 6 weeks we had to move from Toronto to Calgary because the company I worked for recieved their tax exemption for the year for me then laid me off. When we got to Calgary the company I worked for seemed OK however it became blatently obvious that as a brit with construction management experience I was not welcomed by the management and made to carry out jobs that labourers would normally do. We lived and worked in Germany for 6 years so knew what it was like to live and work abroad. Please be carefull the grass is not always greener on the other side, and make damn sure you understand the expensive insurances and their tax system, if you dont instruct your company to pay more taxes you end up with a bloody big bill. And not to forget the cost of living with vehicle insurance, food and clothing, Its not a cheap as you might think, I was shocked to find that I was expected to drive for over an hour to work and back when the canadian lads were sent to sights on their doorsteps.
Hello...why don't you open a new thread and introduce yourself to us.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:20 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you!
Hello Bexsell,

Welcome to the site. You're pretty well set up for contacts through alistairboyle and Jerseygirl,
so I'll just wish you good luck. Enjoy!

Best,
Christian
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:09 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE, Bexsell.... and all the best in your quest to come to Canada!

Oggy
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:19 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello...why don't you open a new thread and introduce yourself to us.
Hello Taff,

I second Jerseygirl suggestion. Do open a thread and tell us about yourself. Caveats are much welcomed as well! We even have a large moving back to the UK forum. Although individual cases vary, you are still far from alone ... believe me!

Best,
Christian
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:27 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Taff

Just noticed that this is your first post so just wanted to say welcome to BE, and also thank you for an insightful post, even though it saddens me to read of your less than pleasant treatment in Canada.
It is always vital to check out everything when making the decision to move abroad and so often things get forgotten, so your post is a good reminder not to take anything for granted.
If you haven't already, you may want to pop on to the Canada forum, where there are plenty of fellow expat Brits posting, some who may share some of your experiences. Also I would certainly like to see you on that forum because you can be the voice of reason and caution which I am sure will be of great help to others moving to Canada.
I do hope things get better for you.

All the very best

Dread - x
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:29 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bexsell

I see my colleagues have pointed you to the right forums for the help and advice you sek, which just leaves me to say welcome to Be and wish you good luck with your plans.
Do take on baord Taff's advice and make sure you check everything out along the way.

All the best

Dread - x