British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   Finally planning the move to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/finally-planning-move-us-879235/)

Rick316 Jun 21st 2016 7:24 pm

Finally planning the move to the US

Hi everyone,

After far too many years of saying I'll do it but realistically not being able to,now I am in a position where I think I can make the move.The whole process seems to be a swamp of links sending you around in circles so I'm hoping to learn from those who have succeeded already.

christmasoompa Jun 21st 2016 7:26 pm

Re: Finally planning the move to the US

Originally Posted by Rick316 (Post 11979758)
Hi everyone,

After far too many years of saying I'll do it but realistically not being able to,now I am in a position where I think I can make the move.The whole process seems to be a swamp of links sending you around in circles so I'm hoping to learn from those who have succeeded already.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

The US is certainly a tough country to try and move to, glad you're now able to do it. The US forums have loads of wise folks that will no doubt be able to help you with the journey and any questions you have.

Best of luck with it.

:)

Rick316 Jun 21st 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks Oompa,
Yeah,I've heard that....many times but hey,nothing's impossible so what's to lose (other than an application fee and 6 months of form filling)? ;)

christmasoompa Jun 21st 2016 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rick316 (Post 11979766)
Thanks Oompa,
Yeah,I've heard that....many times but hey,nothing's impossible so what's to lose (other than an application fee and 6 months of form filling)? ;)

Most people don't have to do that (as it has to be an employer that applies for & pays for most visas). I take it you have a family based route then, married to a USC?

Rick316 Jun 21st 2016 7:42 pm

Ooooh,you have me more curious than before I completed my registration for the forum.I was under the impression I had to complete a petition to work first and then (if) I have the potential employer applies for the actual work visa.I have friends there but no family.

christmasoompa Jun 21st 2016 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Rick316 (Post 11979772)
Ooooh,you have me more curious than before I completed my registration for the forum.I was under the impression I had to complete a petition to work first and then (if) I have the potential employer applies for the actual work visa.I have friends there but no family.

Ah, no, that's not how it works! If you need an employment based visa then it's the employer that has to apply for your visa, you can't do it yourself.

But the best thing to do is post in the US immi section of the forum with your info (job, highest level of education etc) and they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

Best of luck. :)

Rick316 Jun 21st 2016 7:45 pm

That is amazing help,thank you :D

christmasoompa Jun 21st 2016 7:48 pm

No worries. This Wiki article is a good overview of all the possible visa routes if you want to have a read before asking questions - Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

HTH.

Bob Jun 21st 2016 9:41 pm

Welcome to BE and good luck :)

Jerseygirl Jun 21st 2016 10:28 pm

Welcome to BE.

After reading through Pulaski's guide...please post any further questions in the US Immigration Forum (the link has already been posted above).

Good luck.

Rosemary Jun 25th 2016 10:48 am

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary